Sabotaging the Sony Playstation 3 market?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sabotaging the Sony Playstation 3 market?

By releasing a new version of the PS3 ... that's $100 more expensive. Yes, it comes with a game, and yes, it has more hard-drive space, to which I respond: Who cares? Was the marketplace clamoring for more memory from the PS3? Is that why its market penetration is so low compared to its predecessors and competition? What were the Sony execs thinking?
    I needed a Blu-ray player, and the PS3 is, without question, the best value for the money in the marketplace. It plays Blu-rays, upconverts standard-definition DVDs to near 1080 quality - and is a top-of-the-line video-game system to boot. Add to this wireless Internet capability and an ability to upgrade the operating system, and it’s the Blu-ray system par excellence.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

What were the Sony execs thinking?
    Sony execs think?

Isn't that a contradicion in terms?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

So are they gonna make the current $400 ones impossible to get?

If so, I should get one soon... even though we don't have an HDTV yet LOL
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Sony are trying to make standalones more attractive, possibly because the other manufacturers are sick and tired of the PS3 being *the* Blu-ray player of choice.

It may also be that the various functions on the PS3 is distracting people away from what is supposed to be the main feature: Blu-ray playback. I bought my PS3 mainly as a Blu-ray player, but now I use it more as a media hub to stream my media from a PC to the TV. Doing it this way makes me wish that discs, including Blu-ray, would at best only be used to carry content, after which everything will be digital and streamed around the house. And everything is done legally, of course. If this were the case, then Blu-ray media would just be one of the many ways in which content can be delivered to the home, in addition to flash drives, downloads, live streaming, kiosk downloads ...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

I was avoiding the standalones BECAUSE they couldn't do all that extra cool stuff

And, I like the fact that the PS3 has built-in Wi-Fi so it'll automatically update itself should they make more BD profiles. I would hate to get a player now that's rendered obsolete down the road.

But oh well, we'll see. I really need to ask my parents just when exactly they were planning on getting a new TV... with my luck I'll be off to college by then and it won't even matter, LOL

--edit--

As far as playing stuff on my TV... I'm not really a fan of streaming media... I have a tendency to just use DownloadHelper and such to download them anyway. For simpler videos I use mplayer for the Wii, and/or the photo channel for the movies. Typically I'll convert everything to DVD-R and burn them, and just use my settop player. It's something about having a menu and chapters that's more appealing to me than having a bunch of files on a flash drive. But I dunno. I'm getting an Xbox 360 soon and I know it can do some of that standalone playing media off a flash drive stuff.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

I've just put up the November 2008 sales figure analysis for game consoles:

The November 2008 NPD figures are in, and this has been a bumper month for game console sales, breaking some records in the process. The overall picture is pret

Some pretty bad results for Sony all around, now selling less PS3s than the same time last year, despite their good start in 2008. Some pretty bad news in the software sale charts for them too, with Microsoft stealing the show with Gears of War 2, this year's second best selling title (behind the 360 version of GTA IV).

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

And with the price increase Sony will sell even less game consoles. On another note Sears is considering filling for bankruptcy, they are around 2 billion in debt.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...