Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spottedfeather
    • Dec 2008

First Time DVD Burner (Me !)

I have never burnt a dvd before but have really been thinking about it lately, especially since I got a dvd set that wasn't meant to be released and want to back it up just in case they never re-release it. My burner is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BGS4. I have read here and there that Verbatim 8x dvd-r is the best, most reliable way to go for this burner. Is this correct ? I don't want to spend all that money (blank dvds are pretty expensive) only to keep messing up and not getting a working dvd out of the process.
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
    ... My burner is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BGS4. I have read here and there that Verbatim 8x dvd-r is the best, most reliable way to go for this burner....
    Hi Spotted ...

Welcome aboard!

Looks like your your DVD Burner needs a little updating ...

Your current "Stock" firmware (FW) is BSOY and you are on BGS4 so you might want to update it.

While you are at it ... you might want to consider crossflashing your dvd burner with new FW, because your OEM FW will only allow you a 8x burn and it is very picky ...

So go here to CodeGuys http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
    and download a new FW to flash your dvd burner with.

Do a search for 1633 ... as you can see actually you can also flash your 1633 with 1653s and sony 710a firmware.

From what I have read across the other sites ... you would be better off going with Crossflash to LiteOn 1653 ...
    CS0T - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1633S, etc.)

Your Burner will be more responsive and work better.

BTW, Verbatim are good ones. And alwyas follow the golden rule of Burning ... see what I cut & paste from one the Mod's Sigs here mr. Blutach:

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Hope this proves helpful & Good Luck!

G!

Comment

Working...