X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Movies, Coming Soon to an SD Memory Card Near You

MOD Systems, which believes it can distribute movies on flash cards, has announced a partnership with film studios Warner Brothers and Paramount to deliver movies directly to SD memory cards at retail locations.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Admin I read this article and also some info on your Blog. Are there any stand alones whether blu-ray player, or hd's etc... that can accomodate these cards right now besides portable players, cell phones and what was listed on the sight? What devices besides these have a SD slot?

Also DRM isn't such a bad thing is it? I read what it means as far as copy write protection for publishers and where the files can be used. So if I pay lets say for using one of those downloading kiosks to put flics on my SD card then I'll be able to use it for myself on a hardware device that's allowed to accept the files correct? That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'm going to be switching to one of these alternative digital methods sooner or later and paying for it if I have to. So as far as myself I'm ok w/it. Or am I missing something here? Thnx.
    Last edited by dr_ml422; 19 Jan 2009, 11:13 AM.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Right now, there aren't any standalone players for these SD systems (it's mainly for the PC), so don't worry too much about them yet. It's still early days for digital delivery systems, and right now, they are more of an alternative to iTunes and such as opposed to an alternative to Blu-ray/DVD.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

I misunderstood the whole thread. I forgot that digital is not the regular files used by Blu-ray/DVD. I was ready to start going that route as far as seeing what was available for those 2 formats. I now realise that it's digital just like when Feb 17th comes here soon. I also read a post by Jobs on Google about the whole DRM thing w/iTunes, and how they're security system was called Fair Play because of the leeway provided on how many devices they're store bought music could be downloaded on. They're also I think dropping DRM if they haven't already.

So basically it's for music right now. Is it a big deal to install and hook up some SD slot or w/e to your PC if it didn't come w/any? Is it something for newer updated mobos etc...? Or can a older setup like my Dell mce 2005 be able to use a SD card? My build is way more advanced than my Dell, but will that handle a install of one also? Thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

It's more of an alternative way to get iTunes movies from a traditional shopping place, rather than straight from the Internet.

I'm not sure about Blu-ray players, but all HD DVD players have USB ports as part of the specification (the PS3 has them though, as does a few other players, some use it for updating the firmware). This would have been handy to connect extra equipment such as a media card reader, thus turning HD DVD players into standalones capable of playing movies off SD memory cards, or to read movies straight off an USB drive.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

So iTunes has the lock on these Sd cards? Seems like it as you mention them as the ones using them.

If all HD DVD players have USB ports then why can't they be used to connect extra equipment such as the media card reader, thus turning them into standalones capable of playing movies off SD memory cards etc...?

And why would anyone buy a HD DVD player anyway if Toshiba isn't making them anymore or supporting them, and Blu-ray won the format war? I'm confused about this. I also mentioned some flics like the whole Superman series being on one disc. How could this be if it wasn't Blu-ray? How could they still be selling HD DVD's if they're not making anymore players? Is the PS3 backwards compatible? Can't be as they won the format war.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎