X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I got you now. Don't fully understand the profile thing even after reading up on it through Google, but I did get the part where the PS3 was like you said future proof against any upgrades to newer profiles. I guess in that respect they're going to hold on as much as possible to see if it'll take to consumers as expected. Streamlining I guess is just watching the movies via the PC through your PS3 and on to your HDTV correct?

Those guides you mentioned are they here or in your forum where your Blog is? I'm glad I decided to make this a priority because much will unravel soon here regarding storage, players and everything in between.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Here are all the game console related guides (and software):

Gaming Zone: Gaming related video news, articles and downloads
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Hmm, for streaming media from the computer to the PS3... does it work over a LAN? Can I set up a "shared folder" on my desktop and have the PS3 be able to read the files in another room?

Because my room is on the second floor and our HDTV is in the basement... which makes any wired connections hard. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to the Internet using a "wireless Ethernet bridge" that was far cheaper than the official adapter... and while I can connect to the network, it won't see any computers attached when I try that option.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

On the same LAN (wired or wireless), install TVersity on the computer with the media files you want to share. TVersity is a free UPnP server and it allows you to add folders and files that you want to share to various UPnP compatible devices, including the PS3. TVersity even has a PS3 profile you can select and use, and the PS3 will even show a "TVersity" icon.

The magic of TVersity is that you can also set it up to convert formats that the PS3 doesn't support in realtime to a format that it does support, using the powers of your computer.

TVersity instructions for the PS3 are here (it's for MP4/H.264 files, but it will work with AVI, DivX, XviD, MPG and some other formats, not MKV though):

This guide shows you how to convert DVD/AVI/DivX/XviD/MOV files to a PS3 compatible H.264 file that can uses AAC or AC3 5.1 audio, covering 3 methods for making MP4, VOB or a M2TS stream (page 10 of 10)

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Thnx for the links admin. Now I'm going to have to make myself more knowledgeable about what exactly the xbox 360 and PS3 can do as far as the above mentioned. In those game console guides/software section is there also a explanation of the various tasks and or functions of each console? This is leading to more of a informed decision regarding how I get and store my video collection.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Both consoles are pretty similar. The PS3 also plays Blu-rays (and also AVCHD), the Xbox 360 plays HD DVD with the add-on drive (not much use now though). The PS3 has a web browser, and can also do Folding@Home. Multiplayer is free on the PS3, but requires subscription on the Xbox 360 (although it does have a superior community).

You might want to PM drfsupercenter as he's got both I think.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

I don't have a PS3 yet... hopefully I'll be able to convince my parents to get one.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
                  Both consoles are pretty similar. The PS3 also plays Blu-rays (and also AVCHD), the Xbox 360 plays HD DVD with the add-on drive (not much use now though). The PS3 has a web browser, and can also do Folding@Home. Multiplayer is free on the PS3, but requires subscription on the Xbox 360 (although it does have a superior community).

You might want to PM drfsupercenter as he's got both I think.
                  Thnx. I'm basically looking to see the advantages each have now and prolly will have as to the storage and digital download side of things. As you mentioned though, most digital storage like the SD cards etc,, are more geared towards music and not video, and there's still nothing happening on the digital video side of things. I'm having to store the standard VTS folder files on hd's until they make the digital setup available and stable enough to put out in w/e alternative format they come out with.

I think maybe that's what MS will be working on as they're not going to put out ant new versions of the xbox 360 and just improve on it. If any of those 2 can consistently provide a venue which will prove stable w/all the goodies, then I see it worthy of purchasing even if I don't play games. This will be contingent of course on Blu-ray's future. No sense getting it if in the end it doesn't survive. Keeping close tabs on this whole revolution is where it's at so not to get stuck w/something high in price , but available for just some functions.

Comment

• Budreaux
                    • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                    . This will be contingent of course on Blu-ray's future. No sense getting it if in the end it doesn't survive. Keeping close tabs on this whole revolution is where it's at so not to get stuck w/something high in price , but available for just some functions.
                    You are forgetting one very important thing, IMHO.....H.264 playback. Even if BlueRay fails, the PS3 is capable of playing MP4 with the H.264 codec. I'm not a $ony fan, but that feature alone is what steers me to consider owning one. Currently I'm converting my entire library over to this format and will be using it on a WD HD TV Media Player, but it doesn't have wireless option and I want to begin to incorporate that into my home theater setup. While building an HTPC is a sure way of getting this done, these consoles are a viable, less expensive way of doing the same thing.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

I'm glad you posted as this is what I'm looking to do as well. Maybe the xbox 360 might be working on this MP4 play back too for all I know. I just read what the WD HD TV Media Player is and can do. Not bad for a less expensive viable option as you noted. Well, bottom line is that here soon before getting either of these consoles I have to get a HDTV. So this will have to be 1st. I'll get it. Have to. In the mean time I see my options and learning more. Not a bad idea to maybe start converting my files to H.264 either, and keep the VTS folders as well just in case. I'm staying close to this as much as possible. bit of a dinosaur here w/some of this stuff that's literally in the forefront already.
                      Last edited by dr_ml422; 22 Jan 2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Alright, I finally convinced my mom to order us a PS3

We got the $400 one with a 60GB hard drive on Amazon. (So with the free shipping it should probably be here next week) And we got the Blu-Ray remote for obvious reasons.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I set it up, but it's nice to know I'll have a Blu-Ray player now.

Incidentally, what sort of mp4 does the PS3 support? I know iTunes has "HD" videos that are in 720p, and if I remove the DRM from them, can I stream them right to the PS3? Or would they need to be converted?
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

The PS3 supports MP4s with H.264 up to level 4.1, and AAC audio up to 5.1 channels (Low Complexity only). I don't know what specs iTunes uses, but if it's iPod compatible, it should be PS3 compatible as well.

Did you use one of the Amazon PS3 offers?

They're not that great though, because they require you to spend extra money on movies before you get something for free, and if you don't want those movies, then it's better off to skip these "deals".
                          Last edited by admin; 22 Jan 2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Admin isn't the 60Gb discontinued? I just read up on it, and while it hosts a lot of more features than the present 80GB, I would presume the newer models were built to be better and cheaper for Sony to make, thus being able to lower their prices. It's speculated that by April the PS3 80GB might go down to $300.

@ drf Why go through Amazon for a used or w/e 60Gb for $400 bucks when the 80Gb is about $400 right now? I think this is what Admin is trying to point out in a way.

I hope I'm posting this link correctly according to the latest news. It's old, but it explains what I think Admin and I just hinted at.

The discontinued 60GB PS3 is the stuff of legend, and for good reason: it was …
                            Last edited by dr_ml422; 22 Jan 2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                              NOT an online superstore
                              • Oct 2005

Ah, sorry, it WAS the 80GB model. Somehow I thought it was 60 for a second.

I did use the page from the Amazon "buy one get one free" movie deal, as that's the link I sent to my mom. However, we looked through the list of eligible movies and really didn't see that many that were worth buying on Blu-Ray. (I thought Men In Black would be nice but that's only $15 to start)
                              And considering that my grandma said she'd buy us a Blu-Ray player, I figured it was better to not start loading her credit card up with movies as well.

So all we got was the PS3 and media remote, $420 total.

Everything on iTunes is iPod compatible... so that means it should work on the PS3?
                              Now, does it HAVE to be streamed from my computer? Or can I put it on a memory card and then copy it to the PS3's internal memory? (I know the Xbox 360 can rip CDs and such... however I don't think it can copy music from an external memory source to its hard drive) I'd really only need that 80GB for storing videos and other media, since I doubt I'll be into PS3 gaming much. (Shame they discontinued PS2 support... I don't own a PS2 and never have. Plus, the PS3 games are REALLY expensive, maybe if I rent some from Blockbuster I might play them, but for now I'll work on building up my Xbox 360 library)

Kinda off-topic question, but the PS3 can played burned DVDs, right? Any news on whether or not it works with DVD+R DL? I know the Xbox 360 *doesn't* and that kinda annoys me since I've done some long runtime DVD projects on dual layer media.
                              And for future technology... does it play BD-R discs as well? (And I'm assuming since Sony is the evil company when it comes to copyrights, it's not possible to make the PS3 region-free for DVDs?)
                              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

Here's a lil something to go by for now>http://www.ps3-80gb.co.uk/ps3_80gb.php There are some other reviews as well. I tried getting something recent and as close to when the 80GB came out.

Here's more to your question I think. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd-re-...ck-ps3-261206/ and here's a breakdown of its specs. http://www.compusa.com/applications/...&Sku=S171-1064 Play w/your friend Google. He's always on time.
                                Last edited by dr_ml422; 22 Jan 2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...