X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Crossflashing and Region Free Firmware

Having the firmware available is often just the first step to making a drive work?
  • LIGHTNING UK!
    Author of ImgBurn
    • Dec 2001

Is that a statement or a question?!

Region Free firmware is technically breaking a form of copy protection so I'm not sure if the site will have much/anything to do with it.

As for cross-flashing, yeah that's a route some people could benefit from taking but the vast majority would do well to just perform any sort of firmware update!

With the search function on rpc1.org no longer in action, this site has been created to fill the gap in the market (as well as getting the search from within ImgBurn working again!).
    The Official ImgBurn Website

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Is that a statement or a question?!
      Both

Region Free firmware is technically breaking a form of copy protection so I'm not sure if the site will have much/anything to do with it.

admin might clarify but last I remember region protection was not protected

As for cross-flashing, yeah that's a route some people could benefit from taking but the vast majority would do well to just perform any sort of firmware update!
      yes and such crossflashes seem to be getting rarer as drives evolve but not sure about the pioneer family

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

In Australia it is legal to sell region-free hardware, or to modify existing hardware to be region-free. There are new legislations though, copied from the US DMCA, and it's a bit hard to say what's allowed anymore. In any case, the servers hosting the site is in the US, and so the US DMCA may apply, I'm not sure. But talking about it is okay for sure.

From a non DMCA perspective, the firmware files are created and owned by the drive manufacturers, and if they wanted to go after people, they can easily use classic copyright laws to do so, as you are taking their "work" and modifying it without their approval.

Are there still lots of region-free firmware for the latest drives being released, or are people using software solutions these days, I'm not sure. Some Blu-ray drives don't even come with hardware BD region locking these days, not to mention many BD movies are region-free to begin with (a larger majority? Warner, Paramount, Universal, older Sony, Disney titles, should all be region-free).
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Abuilder
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Oct 2006

LUK
          True and not true. I have an Ativa™ 20x Internal DVD±RW Drive With LightScribe the model of this drive is DH-3H20A. Trying to find a firmware update for this drive is like grrrrrr
          Having messed with as many drives as I have I opened it up and Bingo! Hell this thing is a Lite-On. A lite-On DH20A3H to be exact. I crossed-flashed it with Lite-On’s own flash utility firmware ver: YY11 and it worked just fine but I didn’t like the extremely high spindle speed so I backtracked it to the lite-On firmware YP5W. Now it doesn’t spin so fast when reading scratched CD&DVD’s
          This is the original origin of drive:

Cross-flashing & region free firmware is still alive and well. It's just a little harder to find them as you already know
          They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• cynthia
            Super Moderatress
            • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Abuilder
            Trying to find a firmware update for this drive is like grrrrrr
            From the Ativa homepage.

How to upgrade firmware?

Visit LITE-ON IT's official website to see if there is any new firmware available for you model. And be sure to match the model number exactly as firmware for different models are NOT interchangeable. When confirmed, please download the firmware file in "XXXXX.zip" format to your hard-drive. For upgrade utility for Windows environment, once downloaded, extract the content of the zip file to a location you can find later, go to the location where you just stored the file for upgrade. Execute the file that will automatically upgrade your CD-RW drive and wait for the program to confirm the operation is successful. After completion, please reboot your PC again. Please double check the firmware version from the "Device Manager".
            http://www.ativaproducts.com/downloa...drive_faqs.xls

I wouldn't call that a true cross flash.
            Last edited by cynthia; 2 Feb 2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

I have a Samsung SH-S162L DVD drive, I found a region free firmware and flashed the drive with S162L.TS08.patched-rpc1. I looked at what region that the drive was set to after flashing to the patched firmware. It was set to none, but I had only 2 region changes left. I have never played around with changing the drive to the different regions. Shouldn't there be 4 region changes left, like the Pioneer drive that I have.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Abuilder
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Oct 2006

cynthia
                I was given this drive well over a year ago. At the time all the information that I could find on it was on officedepot’s main site with no links to any FAQ’s. Heck there was only one thread on Cdfreaks about an 18X version of this drive and nobody was really sure what an Ativa was. The model numbers between Lite-On and the rebadged Ativa are close but not exact. Just like if you take a Lite-On DH20A3P and flash it to a DH20A3H you are asking for problems because one it a lightscribe drive and the other isn’t.
                A true cross-flash?
                Most SONY label drive are not make by them the only difference in the hardware is the plastic bezel and the small mod in the firmware to make it look like SONY made the drive. And the price of course.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

@ Abuilder

For me a 'true crossflash' is when you can say goodbye to any warranties if the crossflash goes wrong. If this Ativa 'crossflash' goes wrong - you should still be able to get a new writer from them.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

a crossflash takes a special firmware and flasher

this would be the standard flash for that old drive

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

There is a function for 'cloned' drivers. So I've now added Ativa in the database.

Comment

• Abuilder
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by cynthia
                        @ Abuilder

For me a 'true crossflash' is when you can say goodbye to any warranties if the crossflash goes wrong. If this Ativa 'crossflash' goes wrong - you should still be able to get a new writer from them.

Cynthia
                        It would have been really hard for me to void the warranty on this drive because I never got one. J. It was given to me by a local vender/DVD custom tower builder that refused to put the thing in any of his machines. LOL
                        Well maybe not a true crossflash but I have put a couple of CodeKing’s patched firmware on it. I’m still not real happy with this drive so if I fry it I won’t be heartbroken.

Comment

• cynthia
                          Super Moderatress
                          • Jan 2004

Then you got it cheap.

I have the original Lite-On version of that writer and I think it's a nice writer (except the PMA update failures). I have the YY11 firmware installed.

Comment

• gonwk
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2005

Hi Cynthia,

I went to "Firmware HQ" but I did not see my Gateway M-6862 Silver laptop DVD drive ... it is "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A WX05" according to Nero DiscSpeed 5.

Do you know if my Firmware "WX05" is the latest!?!? And I think Optiarc is owned by Sony ... right?

Thanks,

G!
                            Last edited by gonwk; 3 Feb 2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2006

Gonwk yes it is I just bought a internal drive that is Sony/Optiarc.
                              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎