• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Host Process Stopping in VISTA

Hi folks,

I have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit on it.
    from time to time for no apparent reason (that I know of) ... I get this stupid warning ...

"Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed.
    A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."

BTW, the Windows never offers a solution or anything!!!

Q1: So what the heck is Host Process for Windows Services???

Q2: What causes this problem? Or is it a problem?

Q3: How can I FIX this problem?

Thanks,

G!
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

Have you tried checking the "report problems and solutions" to find out what service is causing the problem?

Go into the control panel, system and maintenance, problem reports and solutions.

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by copyless
      Have you tried checking the "report problems and solutions" to find out what service is causing the problem?

Go into the control panel, system and maintenance, problem reports and solutions.
      Hi Copyless,

Another friend suggested that ... which it was news to me ... so at least now I have place to start with ... once I find more answers ... I will post back for you guys to help me out.

THANKS!

G!
      Last edited by gonwk; 23 Feb 2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

It sounds like there might be a resource conflict and or may be a conflict with in the program itself. It is doing something that Vista does not like. I wonder if it is a memory leak problem.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

svchost.exe is a program that launches services. that's why you often see "svchost is hogging my cpu, ram, whatever" because there's usually a bunch of them running and no matter what service is doing the hogging, you see svchost when you look in task manager or whatnot.

If you are not doing something and it just pops up by itself then chances are it's some scheduled task. Maybe a virus program is trying to check for updates, or defrag is trying to run. If you go into Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Task Scheduler the click the View Menu and check Show Hidden Tasks. Then you can look through them. You might see one that reports failure to start. Once you find out the one that's crapping out then you can decide if it's one you want to run anyway. If it's something you don't want or need you can disable it in the task scheduler applet thingy.

Comment

• copyless
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2006

I doubt that there is a conflict between resources, but Vista will make a report of all problems, how many times they happen and when. If it is something you don't care about, like Miles said you can shut it down. If not post the report and we will figure it out, also I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure defrag will run in the background on Vista, without any problems (depending on the system).

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by copyless
              I doubt that there is a conflict between resources, but Vista will make a report of all problems, how many times they happen and when. If it is something you don't care about, like Miles said you can shut it down. If not post the report and we will figure it out, also I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure defrag will run in the background on Vista, without any problems (depending on the system).
              If you don't define starting when another defragger is already running as a problem then I guess I have to agree.

Comment

• copyless
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2006

Now that one, I guess I would define as a problem. Of course it has been years for me since I used anything other defrag. Since win '98 probably.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

The thing that sucks is they just put it in the task scheduler without saying anything. If you set stuff up to fire off automatically it should be bullet proof. They didn't even include a check for "drive busy" before launching the thing. Just the easy to do CPU %.

But anyway I wasn't trying to guess what's wrong, just giving examples of stuff that launches non-interactively. By the time you figure out what all that crap is in the scheduled tasks we'll all be running SphereEx instead of Linux. It goes way faster, but unfortunately it's around in circles.

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts so far ... I have to play around with this darn a bit longer ... but I am swamped at work and at home ... so no time to goof off.

Talk to you folks later!

G!

Comment

Working...