X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Obama Picks New FTC Boss, Former MPAA Lobbyist

When it came to consumer issues like broadband, network neutrality or user privacy, the FTC in recent years has spent most of its time nodding dumbly at industry, allowing carriers, content and ad companies to "self-regulate" (code for do as little as possible, but put on a good show). Today Obama appointed current Democratic FTC Commissioner Jon Leibowitz to head the agency, likely paving the way toward a more active and consumer-centric FTC -- at least on some issues.

-- snip --

For four years before joining the FTC, Leibowitz was a lobbyist for the Motion Picture Association Of America (MPAA). While Leibowitz's full intent on new regulation isn't clear, consumer advocates see him as an upgrade.
    News: When it came to consumer issues like broadband, network neutrality or user privacy, the FTC in recent years has spent most of its time nodding dumbly at industry, allowing carriers, content and ad companies to &quote;self-regulate&quote; (code for

So not all bad news, because consumer groups still prefer this new guy over the old one.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

So not all bad news, because consumer groups still prefer this new guy over the old one.
    Maybe...The bigger picture for me is, I seem to remember something from the campaign trail that went like; "lobbyists won't find a job in my white house"...

How can there be change when we still have the same sorry old faces in there...

Oh well, business as usual...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

So he said there won't be lobbyists and then he hires them? "Read my lips", anyone?
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

To be fair, the guy wasn't a lobbyist at the time he was appointed. He's a current FTC commissioner who used to be an MPAA lobbyist about 4 years ago.

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

I am wondering if he still has the same ideals as he did four years ago.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

I think the only ideal most lobbyists have is the pursuit of more money

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

So he said there won't be lobbyists and then he hires them? "Read my lips", anyone?
              How can you tell if a politician is lying? His lips are moving...

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

I don't want to start a flame here, but please verify your information before you start posting statements like that.

He never said he wouldn't allow lobbyist, he placed restrictions on lobbyist, IF they were hired.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

And again, this guy is a *former* lobbyist. It would be discrimination if Obama would not appoint anyone that once upon a time did some lobbying. So the issue is not whether Obama is appointing lobbyists (in this case, he's not), but rather, whether this guy is pro MPAA or not.

The consumer groups seems to think he's okay, so that's the most important I think.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎