X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Non-Blu-ray PS3 on the way?

Sony could be about to announce a PS3 price cut "in the next couple of days", according to one analyst, who says rumours persist that the company's planning to introduce a non-Blu-ray PS3 to the market.

"Recent channel checks indicate increased speculation for a PS3 price cut announcement from Sony in the next couple of days," said Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey on Tuesday.

-- snip --

"We are also hearing continued speculation that Sony is working on a non-Blu-ray PS3 console, which could enable them to make the aforementioned hardware price reduction," he said.
    GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Never going to happen (in regards to Blu-ray-less PS3). All PS3 games are on Blu-ray discs, so unless they're going to introduce DVD versions of games, it won't work. Unless they mean it won't have Blu-ray playback (only gaming), in which case the only savings are license/royalty based, of which Sony gets a large part of it back anyway.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • chrisjkirk
    • Feb 2009

It depends how much of the cost of the PS3 is royal payments for the Blueray license. Yes the money eventually goes back to Sony but that's no good to them if no-one is buying the console in the first place.

I agree the idea of them releasing a completly Blueray-less PS3 is laughable. Sony knew when they released the console that they were tying the fortunes of the PS3 and Blueray together. It's a gamble they were willing to take to get Blueray on to its feet.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Isn't it like how the original Xbox used DVDs but wouldn't play DVD videos?

God, I hate proprietary software... why can't they just leave the Blu-Ray player in there? At least I have the $400 one with one, so I'll be good for a while.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

These Sony Execs are the most obstinate bunch of businessmen I've ever heard n read about. The writing's on the wall for a while now. It don't matter what they come out w/but they better come out w/something n pronto. There's 1 entity that'll decide this eventually, and IMHO I think it's the same morons that chose to go w/Sony in the 1st place. $$$ will decide everything in the end. It always does.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2006

Funny. I have friends that never bought a Blu-ray disk until they bought a PS3. Now they have a whole library just because of the very capability they are trying to take out.

Real smart one Sony

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

If their strategy is to see who goes for the PS3 w/out the Blu-ray option so as to lower costs on both ends it's the stupidest marketing ploy in history. Suppose to be other way around. Start w/regular player then slowly ease in the Blu-ray. Too much too soon. Not enough time for the avg. Joe or even anyone for that matter to buy into it.
            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• gadgetman2
              • Feb 2009

If they do it it's obviously a desparate move to just reduce the cost of the PS3 to compete with the Xbox in terms of price/sales. Sony are in a difficult position. There are losing maket share because the console is too expensive but if they reduce the price they are losing even more money.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎