X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysys
    Old Guy
    • Sep 2002

Can't burn to a DVD+R DL disc

Been a while since I visited but am having problems burning to a DL disc.

I normally use DVD5 with DVDShrink but I want the recording to be the same quality as the original so would prefer to keep it DVD9. I have created 3 DVD9 coasters to date (expensive coasters). These had the same files as the original both name and size, and when I copied them back to the HD they played fine but the disc would not load in a player. I think it has something to do with the IFOs. The IFO points to where the file is on the disc but that isn't where Nero writes the files on a DL disc (Nero 6.6). First it writes all of layer 1 then all of layer 2. So it seems the IFOs aren't pointing to the proper place on the disc.

Has anyone here been successful creating a DL disk with Nero? Or will I need to find a program that will write the DVD correctly other than Nero?

Thanks for any help you can provide...
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

If you venture into the ImgBurn Forum, you might find your solution, but just because inquiring minds are dying to know, what blank DLs are you using & pray tell what speed you are burning them at & just for the heck of it, throw in what drive you are using as well.

Comment

• toysys
      Old Guy
      • Sep 2002

Originally Posted by soup
      If you venture into the ImgBurn Forum, you might find your solution, but just because inquiring minds are dying to know, what blank DLs are you using & pray tell what speed you are burning them at & just for the heck of it, throw in what drive you are using as well.
      As I said, I am using Nero, and the complete version is 6.6.0.8.

The blanks are MATRIX labeled DVD+R DL 8.5GB/240min and 2.4X Certified.
      I actually burned them at 2X and did a verification after the burn. There were no errors. And as I said when copied back to the HD they played fine.

The drive is:
      Hitachi-LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
      Device Type DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM
      Interface ATAPI
      Writing Speeds
      DVD+R9 Dual Layer 4x
      DVD+R 16x
      DVD+RW 8x
      DVD-R 16x
      DVD-RW 6x
      DVD-RAM 5x
      CD-R 40x
      CD-RW 24x
      Reading Speeds
      DVD-ROM 16x
      CD-ROM 40x

Been using it for about 5 years with never a write error.

Thanks for your interest. Will check out ImgBurn, but thought that was where I was...

Comment

• toysys
        Old Guy
        • Sep 2002

Thanks!

Had not realized I already had this program. Been quite some time since I used it. Will certainly give it a try and will report back my results.
        PS You should note I updated my info. No longer live in Florida.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Mar 2006

If it's been that long you might want to check if you have the latest version. It's worth it.

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit... and it's free!

Oh BTW on Dual layer burns alway's use Verbatim DVD-R+ DL. Any others you will run into issues usually. Look for Made in Singapore.
          Last edited by PurpleDemon; 1 Mar 2009, 07:22 AM. Reason: DL info

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

In here.

Comment

• toysys
              Old Guy
              • Sep 2002

Thanks for showing me the way

Soup,
              Can't believe I had forgotten this program but I have so many! About 50 altogether. I also don't understand why Nero, Creator Classic and many other writers that claim to be able to write to DL discs don't work. I did indeed have an older version of ImageBurn (2.0) but upgraded to the latest. This program did rewrite the IFOs. Couldn't see any differences but never the less worked great. Have burnt 5 DL discs since my last post and had 100% success. Once again, Thanks!

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

Us old guys have to stick together. Glad to help & really glad you are getting it done.

Comment

Working...