• Nov 2006

Latest Beta allows avs filter entry:

Now I can burn in subs with BDRB!!

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

i cannot follow, miles

why on earth do you want to hardcode subs to bd material?

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by UncasMS
        i cannot follow, miles

why on earth do you want to hardcode subs to bd material?
        My WD HDTV player won't display PGS subs. Also even if I get perfect .srt subs, if I hit Stop, often they will go out of sync. All I can do is hit Pause. With hard subs, they can't go out of sync. Also I don't have to do any OCR since the images can be burned in and the timing is guaranteed to be correct since it's idx/sub exported from the PGS.

edit: also even if sync wasn't an issue.. the WD Gen1 player has minimal subtitle settings. Even when set to largest size with thickest border, the subs aren't really big enough and the border is not thick enough. They don't stand out well from a white background. VobSub defaults look much better.
        Last edited by MilesAhead; 9 Jul 2010, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

ok, i see there is more than one good reason

i did not think of the possibility to play material from anything other than a blu-ray player and forgot about your wd

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

ok, i see there is more than one good reason

i did not think of the possibility to play material from anything other than a blu-ray player and forgot about your wd
            So has WD.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Another release today:

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

0.34.06 beta released. See same thread as above.

The more I use this program the more impressed I am. Output to DVD5 using the fastest settings looks as good as DVD9 output and the throughput is just as fast. Perfect for a set top box that plays .m2ts.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

0.34.08 released today. I just set it up and started a video encode to make sure there weren't any obvious issues. Worked fine on my Vista64. Looks like some support is being implemented for x264 64 bit version. See change log.

edit: See top post in thread for download link.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

This is kind of interesting. I tried a run with Use LAVF setting to use the 64 bit x264. It was slightly slower I think, but put much less load on my CPU. Instead of maxed out 100% I got slightly less throughput using @85% of my cores and the operating temp a few degrees cooler. My fans weren't maxed out the whole time as they are with the 32 bit settings. I like it already.

edit: hmm, looks like the throughput of that method varies wildly with the source. I did another run and got only 0.95x encoding rate. I aborted and restarted with the usual 32 bit method. Same input and settings produced 1.49x encoding rate. I'm sure it will improve in time though.
                    Last edited by MilesAhead; 8 Sep 2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

According to what Jerry said it varies much depending on the source codec.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Most of my stuff I have to hard code subs using VSFilter anyway. I more or less tried it out of curiosity. Still I was surprised there was such a disparity. Even at such a low utilization on the Phenom the fans kick up(noisy stock fans.) Often I shift the job over to the dual core. Takes 4 hours instead of 2 but it runs silently. I don't know who designs this stuff but I guess if it doesn't make noise on the store display setup to keep you from buying, they don't care.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

According to what Jerry said it varies much depending on the source codec.
                          Interestinger all the time. I'm doing my first run with 0.34.09. I couldn't resist trying it again, so I switched on the LAVF setting. I'm 16% into the video encode and it's still showing 2.01x encoding speed(using "good" one pass abr.) I don't ever recall breaking 2x for a sustained period.

edit: right at the end of the encode it still indicated 1.99x video encoding speed. That's kicking some serious ass for my PC. I have to try another one to see if it's a fluke.

edit2: Yup, the fluctuation is wild. 2nd job with LAVF only wanted to run at 1.29x or less, when 32 bit handling of the same input was about 1.55x.

edit3: looks like that feature is not ready for prime time. It processed quickly but plays herky jerky. Guess I'll stick with 32 bit mode for now.

edit4: now that I think of it, could be a bad rip. Won't blame BDRB until I try various additional runs.
                          I should have known 2x was too good to be true.

edit5: did another rip. ran the 32 bit processing as usual and watched enough of it to verify it doesn't have the herky jerky motion. Reprocessed with LAVF. Got faster throughput, but herky jerky unwatchable video with the same source. It may be particular to WD player. I don't know. The video looks normal if you play it using Splash Lite on the computer. But on my WD player it's like frames are missing. The audio sounds perfect but the video stutters badly. I'll give it another go in a couple of version updates.
                          Last edited by MilesAhead; 15 Sep 2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

0.34.10 released

Comment

• MilesAhead
                              Eclectician
                              • Nov 2006

0.35.01 released

0.35.01 released

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

JDobbs says next release will include an option to produce a "movie only" standard DVD as output from BluRay source. No menus, no frills, just a standard DVD. It will be fun to try it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎