Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • srwike
    • May 2009

Xbox 360 H264 conversion - unsupported format

I followed all the steps in your guide (http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ows_page1.html) and I'm using power DVD Ultra. When I try to read the disc I get the message "There is a disc with an unsupported format in drive...".
    The disc in question is the King Kong HD DVD that came with the Xbox360 DVD drive. I tried other HD DVDs and I get the same message.

I noticed the configuration options list of available tabs in Power DVD Ultra does not match up to what your instructions show as I do not have an HD DVD tab, but a Bluray tab that looks quite different from the HD DVD one.

Is there a handling for this error?

I also should mention that I do not own an Xbox360 console. From the instructions it appears I do not need one but can hook up directly to my PC. Because of this I wasn't able to install the firmware update that comes with the drive as I have no way of doing so without a console (such is my understanding anyway).

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Steve/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by srwike; 31 May 2009, 04:24 AM.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

whatever drive you tried to read the HD DVD with is not capable of reading this disc type

you cannot simply play disc types like hd dvd or blu-ray with a normal cd or dvd drive

Comment

• srwike
      • May 2009

Yes, I know. However this is a xbox360 HD DVD drive and according to the link referenced it easily plays HD DVD movies while connected to a PC as a USB drive.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

oh sorry, didnt know that was possible

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Which version of PowerDVD are you using?

Only the 7.x series of PowerDVD Ultra support HD DVD, and after that, only the initial release 8.x Ultra version with a patch supports it (http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...DVD_page1.html).

I would recommend using WinDVD Plus Blu-ray for HD DVD, if you cannot obtain an older version of PowerDVD (note that you *can* have both one 7.x install and one 8.x/9.x install at the same time, unlike previous PowerDVD versions, so you can switch to 7 for HD DVD and then 8.x/9.x for Blu-ray if needed).

I've amended the guide to include more details about the version of PowerDVD required.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• srwike
            • May 2009

Thanks for the update. That might explain the issue because I'm using power dvd 9 ultra.

I'll recheck the article and try something different.

Comment

• srwike
              • May 2009

I loaded WinDVD and it finally recognized the DVD and played the movie. Only one hitch now - the sound is intermittent. I'll see if updating the drivers helps.

Comment

Working...