Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Report: Global Blu-ray Sales Jump, But Not Quite Enough to Offset DVD Decline

A four-fold sales increase of Blu-ray movies coupled with double digit disc sales increases in China, Russia and India helped mitigate the ongoing global DVD sales slump in 2008, according to a new report.

-- snip --

Consumers globally spent $26.4 billion on video software, with two thirds of that tally ($18.1 billion) spent on DVDs. That represents a decline of more than $2.6 billion or a 3.6% drop in total disc spending (together with rental) from 2007. That includes a 4.7% drop in disc sales alone, according to the London-based research firm.
    www.HomeMediaMagazine.com covers breaking news about the home entertainment industry. News on Blu-ray, high-definition, electronic delivery, TV DVD, and video games, including studios and retailer news, industry event photos, polls, commentary & information.

By my estimations, Blu-ray sales will have to more than double in order to offset the loss in DVD sales. But the problem is that for every Blu-ray movie sold, that's at least one less DVD sale, and if you take into account the fact that Blu-ray movies are more expensive and people have limited budgets, it could be 2 or 3 less DVD sales. The number of discs sold going down won't really matter if revenue stays the same, but I suspect studios make more money off 2 or 3 cheap DVDs than off a single more expensive Blu-ray.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎