Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAVC what happens when you don't read the manual :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

FAVC what happens when you don't read the manual :)

Hmmmmm, this is embarrassing!! I've been using FAVC for awhile. I had been using HC Enc for 2 pass high quality work and QuEnc for quickie one pass conversions with FAVC. A couple of times I tried HC one pass predictive quantization or whatever it is. All these windows kept popping open and disappearing.. I figured stuff was broken so I stopped experimenting with it.

Turns out it's a separate .exe takes a 2% sample of the input video then has HC do a one-pass conversion. I see the HC 024 beta has a new one pass mode, but the first pass analysis can take 5 or 6 minutes. So far I haven't done enough of each to say which is better, but the predictive one pass from FAVC looks good enough that it will replace one pass QuEnc encodes for the video. And the sampling pass is very fast.

Esp. if you have an HD avi source the results look really good. Of course resizing to a smaller res slows it down but all the more reason to avoid 2 passes.

Just thought I'd toss it out there in case some people got the same reaction I did. Windows start flying you tend to just close it and kill it off if you don't know what to expect.

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎