Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my computer taking 90 minutes to burn DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macksamillion
    • Aug 2009

Why is my computer taking 90 minutes to burn DVDs?

Somebody save me from throwing my computer against a wall. I have a system that I use for dvd duplication. It has a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard, with an AMD Core 6400+ (64-bit) processor running at 3.21GHz. The OS is XP Home. I have 4 gigabytes of Crucial RAM installed. I have (4) Samsung SH-S223l SATA dvd burners installed, and a 500GB IDE Western Digital hard drive.

When I burn one or two dvds simultaneously, burn times are normal, about 6-7 minutes at 12x. When I attempt to burn 4 discs at the same time, it takes over 90 minutes. This shouldn't be. It's very frustrating. I have tried versions 6, 7, and 9 of Nero Burning Rom. Nothing changes. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

The source files are on the hard drive, nero has to read them 4 times, since the buffer/cache on the burners and the hard drive are so small, with more burns, your hard drive just spends all it's time going from one point to another and back again.

Your hard drive can sustain 40+ MB/s in a continuous read but stumbles when it has to seek/read
    from a segmented read.

Buy another hard drive or sell 2 burners

Comment

• macksamillion
      • Aug 2009

I put in an additional hard drive, and tried again. I set two burners to read from one drive, two to read from the other. The end result was the same when using both drives. It took over 90 minutes to complete the task.

Comment

• gonwk
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Hi macks,

Couple of ideas ... but might not be what you looking for ...

1) Are you sure you are using Nero Burning ROM.

2) Use VMware to set up another virtual machine.

3) Use Daemon Tools and run your images from there with Nero Burning ROM.

4) DiscJuggler software does it but it is NOT Free.

5) Buy a professional 1 to 4 Duplicator Machine ... they are cheap now about $480 Shipped!

6) Reduce your Burn Speed to 8X.

7) My Choice ... Why not stick to your Proven 2 at a time burn ... when it takes only 6 to 8 minutes instead hanging everything up for 90 Minutes.

Hope this gave you some other ideas!

Please post back your Results for the next person!

G!

Comment

• macksamillion
          • Aug 2009

I thought about doing just 2 at a time, but my ego just doesn't sit very well with that. If I settle with that, then I've admitted defeat and I let my computer beat me. Plus I could never be okay with that, because I know in my mind it should work with 4. I have built too many computers that burned 4-at-a-time with no problem, to accept that this one won't do it. There is probably something small that I'm overlooking; some small setting that I need change; some switch I need to flip, or a jumper I need to move, in order to get the throughput I desire.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

or a jumper I need to move
            On sata dvd burners?

We encourage our users here to post screen shots or logs to insure accuracy and credibility

here's one from 2 years ago

One member did 4 at once

He's rather advanced and was using a very good computer
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Chewy; 10 Aug 2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• macksamillion
              • Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Chewy
              On sata dvd burners?
              No. On the motherboard

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎