X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

SysInternals utilities use OS basics when possible so they tend to work from NT onwards. One example is sync.exe. Handy for flushing disk buffers. I always have it in a folder in the Path. Pop up a command prompt and type 'sync' to flush all the HD partitions to disk. On NT systems it just locks the drive and lets Windows do the flushing. No sneaky undocumented stuff. (It saves most sneaky undocumented stuf for Win9x there being no other way to accomplish the task.)

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

Can't take the credit for this one, a friend put me on to it.

GPU-Z is a lightweight utility designed to give you all information about your video card and GPU.
      GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

FavesSoft Hotkey Utilities added to Softpedia

I filled out PAD files and submitted several of my programs to SoftPedia.com over time. Looks like they have taken their own initiative and added all the utilities from my Hotkeys Page that I didn't submit myself.

If you like the idea that a download site ran a virus scanner over the download and tried out the program before making it available for download, then you may want to check out the SoftPedia Page for FavesSoft Programs

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

There's a few freebies in this link, including this one.

Since 1996 PC WIZARD is among the most advanced system information programs on the market. PC WIZARD is a powerful utility designed especially for detection of hardware, but also some more analysis. It's able to identify a large scale of system components and supports the latest technologies and standards. This tool is periodically updated (usually once per month) in order to provide most accurate results.
          PC WIZARD is also an utility designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. It can analyze and benchmark many kinds of hardware, such as CPU performance, Cache performance, RAM performance, Hard Disk performance, CD/DVD-ROM performance, Removable/FLASH Media performance, Video performance, MP3 compression performance.
          CPUID brings you system & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting quality softwares for your Windows & Android devices

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

AnalogX active again

All the latest news, releases, and happenings from the world of AnalogX.

AnalogX is a site with free tools I've used over the years. Quite a bit of time went by without any updates. Now I see the site has been redesigned and many of the apps I use, such as PCalc, have been rebuilt to deal with Vista compatibility issues.

If nothing else the calculator is interesting because instead of the calculator with numbered buttons interface, it's designed for C programmers. It has an input line where you type in the formula. You don't have to be a programmer, just learn a few of the C math operators. As example, if you wanted to add the product of 85 and 215 with the product of 125 and 1024, instead of punching in the numbers and hitting the operator buttons, you would just type this in this formula:
            (85 * 215) + (125 * 1024)

and hit the Calculate button. The result is displayed in a bunch of numeric formats.. hex, decimal, octal etc..

edit: just trying it out now I see it now remembers screen position. Used to open center screen no matter what. I see it also has some new features like minimize to tray and that type of thing. Good stuff.
            Last edited by MilesAhead; 7 Sep 2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Yet Another Partitioning Program

Someone on Vista64 forum said this free partitioning program is really good so I thought I'd pass the link along:

Free download the partition magic alternative - MiniTool Partition Wizard to move/resize/convert/copy/recover disk partitions in Windows PC and Windows Server.

I haven't tried it. It claims to support both 32 and 64 bit Windows flavors.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

Good daily digest of freeware updates

This page is part of Gizmo's site. It has notable freeware updates from around the web. Giveaway of the day seems to always be in the list, stuff from Softpedia etc..

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

RunOperaTen

Since Opera 10 was released recently I upgraded and looked to see if it still had Form Fill info kept in plain text in an .ini file. Yes it does. I like the Form fill tool in Opera but I don't like my name address phone etc. sitting in an .ini file in clear text in a known location. So my launcher encrypts it when not in use. Here's a link to the announcement for RunOperaTen

It's no threat to RoboForm or any sophisticated form filler. Just a convenience for those who like the Opera Forms tab fill in thingy.
                  Last edited by MilesAhead; 13 Sep 2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• gonwk
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

Just suggested this on a different thread to Drf here ... I think it is a Nice Freeware ...

Desktop iCalendar Lite
                    Free Desktop Calendar for Windows

G!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

Macrium Reflect 4.2 Free Version

I just put Macrium Reflect 4.2 Free Version on my Windows 7 machine and did a backup with it. Looks like they updated the Linux Rescue CD to v. 2. It should work with those HP PCs like mine with the AMD Raid controllers.

If you want a free solution to disaster recovery this looks good. The backup saves a copy of your MBR and offers to copy it onto the HD during restore. That can fix a lot of things that the OS install disc repair won't since it copies over the entire MBR including the partition table info.

Nice program. The same download installs on both 32 and 64 bit OS flavors.

edit: just got confirmation on the Macrium Reflect forum that the image backup file format and the Linux Rescue CD are the same on both the free and paid Macrium Reflect 4.2. The main difference, other than program features, would be that the paid also lets you download a WinPE image that you can modify to load Windows drivers and programs.
                      Last edited by MilesAhead; 22 Sep 2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

Browser Chooser - (prospective new feature)

There is an open source free program for Vista and Windows 7 called Browser Chooser. Looks like it may work in XP but you have to set up a Run As Administrator.

Basically when you open a url from a non-browser app by clicking on a link or text that is a web address and the app depends on the default browser to open the url, Browser Chooser intercepts it and pops up a launch bar with the browsers you have set up. You click the one you want.

The author is considering adding a feature where you can set certain applications to bypass the launch bar and just go to the browser you have associated with that app. IOW, if I set EditPadLite to associate with IE, even though Firefox is my default browser, if I open a link from EditPadLite it will open in IE.

If you think this may be a good feature you can go to this discussion and vote if you like. When you register it's not just for Browser Chooser but for a bunch of Open Source apps. You may find a bunch of stuff you like there.

Browser Chooser Home

Browser Chooser New Feature Discussion

edit: btw I guess there was a problem setting to default browser in XP. I haven't tried it yet but if you try it on XP make sure you have at least v. 1.07 where the problem is said to be fixed.
                        Last edited by MilesAhead; 1 Oct 2009, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

USB Safely Remove freebie

If you didn't get the USB Safely Remove freebie when it was offered recently you have another chance. They are giving away 10,000 free licenses:

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

Returnil with 64 bit support

The new Returnil free home edition with 64 bit support is available:

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Comodo System Cleaner is a powerful suite of utilities and tools that allows you to make your Windows XP or Vista computer faster, more efficient and more secure.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • May 2007

Great Idea

Originally Posted by soup
                                I'm almost always here, and now I find this great thread. Anyway looks like Ccleaner, and I had a good run after using this Comodo Reg Cleaner. Thnx Soup.

Otn. You can't go wrong w/this. I've used it and on other drives, not only WD. Just in case you wondered.

Was posted on another thread before, but now Freebie is here.
                                SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎