X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

British Government: Online Pirates Will Lose Internet

The UK government is planning to ban people who pirate movies and music from the Internet. The previous plan was to restrict the connection speeds of those who have been found to have illegally downloaded content, but the government believes this did not go far enough to prevent illegal online file sharing.

The plan will force ISPs to monitor everything a user downloads and reads on the Internet, to scan for possible acts of piracy. IP addresses will be recorded and users warned before a ban takes place, although IP addresses are easily spoofed and no attempt will be made to distinguish between attempted piracy (downloads that fail to complete or turn out to be not illegal) and actual piracy.

Despite these privacy destroying measure, it will be unable to stop piracy since there are many existing techniques that will allow file sharing to occur, but for the IP addresses to be masked or to ensure the downloaded content cannot be monitored (so ISPs have no idea what users are downloading). Once again, excessive action to combat piracy may in fact drive new piracy technology that makes it harder and harder to prevent illegal downloads.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

You know what's really funny, the majority of the people elected these idiots. Seriously though, there is no distinction, innocence doesn't matter, so they ban everybody, how do the ISPs make money then? Is the Government going to subsidize them, with nobody using their service?

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

Sure why not the US will.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Wombler
        Affable Wanderer
        • Jul 2006

The whole thing's crazy.

The politicians here just don't understand the concepts behind all this technology at all.

Wombler

Comment

• HenrySoren
          • Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Wombler
          The whole thing's crazy.

The politicians here just don't understand the concepts behind all this technology at all.

Wombler
          And this is the very problem – politicians have no idea what all this is! They are just not part of this. That's why i like pirate parties

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

It all depends on how much the special interest groups spend and give to the congress members for their re-election funds. That is how the MPAA and the RIAA get their way with the type of laws passed in the US, for copyright and intellectual rights, and how the music and movies are protected.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

The whole thing's crazy.

I believe you give them too much credit;

It's not that they don't understabnd, they don't even care to understand, as long as someone else's money is being spent. As long as free $$$ is coming their way from lobbys, etc., they'll do anything for the highest bidder. (or make it "appear" like they are doing something)

It is very evident in the US right now - highest bidder wins out, always...The town hall meetings may have a slight impact...we'll see how it goes.

In regards to this ISP banning/connection garbage...isn't there major crime happening in these countries that need to be addressed?

HEY GOV'T - HANDS OFF MY STUFF!!! (oh right, it's not really mine, I forgot, I pay YOU...)

Comment

Working...