• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

64 bit vrs 32 laptops.

Looking to purchase a new Dell or Hp laptop.
    Not a gamer or heavy video editor but concerned about 64 bit becoming the norm in time or is that a non- valid reason to pay more as I don't think 32 will be obselete anytime in the near future... if ever..
    but,
    if you go on a Dell site they start a Inspiron laptop at a certain price and you can custom it till the cows come home with faster processor, larger ram, better wifi card, software, although I think the processor and ram probably need the most concideration as opposed to keeping the original specs of say a Inspiron 17" laptop [which may be plenty] or upgrading those items.
    dvd player vrs blu-ray and software options I don't think are as important as I don't watch movies on a laptop and other than office, any software I don't get at purchase I can install later on..
    I'm using Del website as a guide to get familiar with Laptops but also know That getting one from Dell direct is not always the best deal..
    I do intend to shop around online and brick stores.

I have friends who have purchased 64 bit laptops for the same reason as my original question even though they pretty much use it for web/pictures/email and convenience of using a PC away from home via wireless.
    appreciate any input on this matter.
    Last edited by rago88; 31 Aug 2009, 01:45 AM.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

In this day and time I wouldn't spend an arm and a leg on a laptop and might even be tempted to want windows 7 clean installed on it. Not Vista, not vista with a free upgrade.

2 gigs of ram and a 32 bit machine should suffice, however I would also consider my reload options, we are seeing a lot of hosed new laptops where infections may have compromised the recovery partitions, I would want the option to do a clean install from factory supplied media.

Comment

• rago88
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Aug 2005

ok...
      makes sense to me..

can u tell me the difference between a half-mini wireless card as opposed to standard wifi cards?

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

It is just the size of the card. It is a pci express card that is installed internally in the laptop. I got an HP laptop for $579.99, it is a refurbished unit with vista 64 bit and with a free upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit. It has 4 gigs of memory which can be upgraded up 8gigs max. Has a 17'' monitor also.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• rago88
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Aug 2005

thanks..

btw;
          sounds like a good deal..
          I was just checking out the Dell refurbished,
          returns, and scratch-dent laptops..

awfully good deals there also..
          just may go for one of them.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Also take a look at Ecost and Tigerdirect both place have good prices on refurbished laptops. I got my HP from Tigerdirect,
            Last edited by doctorhardware; 31 Aug 2009, 01:39 PM.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎