X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 Disc Reading Problem After Firmware 3.01 Update Being Reported

There are reports that PS3 owners are suffering from freezing and then no disc reading problem after updating their console's firmware to 3.01.

This sounds very much like what happened to me last year (see my blog entries), and it also happened right after a firmware update. My symptoms mirror those reported, with the first signs being freezing during a Blu-ray movie play back, and then upon a restart, the machine no longer recognises any discs, not DVDs, not Blu-ray's and not games. In fact, the little icon that presents the disc drive doesn't even show up anymore when a disc is inserted, and the drive doesn't bother to spin up except for 2 or 3 seconds after disc insertion.

After receiving two replacement PS3s that were both broken, my fourth PS3 is the one I currently use and is out of warranty. I haven't updated the firmware on it since I got it, fearing the same problem as my original PS3, and I was hoping that this problem would have been solved long ago, but it looks like the "firmware causing drive to fail" problem still exists. It looks like it's not any particular firmware update that causes it, but rather, something that occurs during the firmware update process that may trigger this problem. I'm not at all convinced it's a hardware fault.

My PS3 was fixed under warranty, but Sony charges $150 to repair this problem if your PS3 is out of warranty.

I've seen lots of people report exactly the same thing with every forum update since firmware 2.40 came out (check out the official PS3 forum, or even some of the comments to my blog posts), but it's certainly not a problem that affects every PS3, or even most PS3s. Probably less than 1% of PS3s are affected per firmware update, but that's still a lot of PS3s and a lot of people being charged $150 for a fault that seems to happen time after time, but nobody has offered any explanation as to why it happens (or how it can be prevented).

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...