Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkfalcon123us
    • Jul 2002

haveing problems with real player files

hey i have files that are in avi format but can only be played with real player, it has the extension avi. at the end and wont let me rename it to ram. i want to make the real player files able to be double click able so that they can go to the real player and start playing the clip so i dont have to open real player and then open the file from there.when i double click on the file it doesnt open up in Windows media player cause it is a real player file and even when i change the icon to automatically open in real player by setting it to default player for all files it doesnt open in real player. it makes me go into real player and open it from the player.
  • Ostaf
    • Jun 2002

The only reasons it wouldn't let you rename the file is if the file was in use or read only. Close Real player and try again. Failing that, right click the file, choose properties, and see if the 'read only' flag is checked. Uncheck it and try again.
    What's the error message you get when you try to rename them?

Comment

• darkfalcon123us
      • Jul 2002

uncheacking read only didnt work.
      the problem is that the file is a real player file but it is named an avi file, so the icon is for windows media player. when i double click on it it wants to open in windows media player because it is set as an avi file. when i switch its default opener to real player and double click it, real player thinks it is an avi file becaus of the tag and wont play it. so it forces me to open real player and then open the file with real player after i open the program. so bassically what im trying to do is make it so when i double click on the file it automatically opens real player and plays the file. i tried changeing the endings around but i think im doing something wrong. if that problem cant be solved does anyone know a converter that switched real player files to avi or mpg files?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Make sure that no player or any other program is opening the file concerned. The reason you can't rename the file is because something is using it and hence won't let you rename the file or alter it in any other way. If necessary, restart Windows and rename it right away (Right-click on file -> Rename -> Change the extension .avi to .ram/.rm).

Comment

• darkfalcon123us
          • Jul 2002

doh, im such an idiot,i found out what was wrong. i had to go explorer, go to tools,then Folder Options, View tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". then i could just right click on the file and go to Rename and delete avi and put rm.thanks for the help with this problem.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Glad you solved the problem.

Comment

Working...