X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

RIAA/MPAA's BitTorent "Leecher Attacks" Ineffective, Study Shows

It is a well known fact that the RIAA/MPAA has been attacking the "BitTorrent Problem" using, let's say, interesting methods, and not just through the traditional channels, such as the courts.

One of these unconventional methods is what is referred to as a "piece attack", by saturating popular torrents with hash fails to cause download errors. The other is a "connection attack", which uses excessive TCP connections to prevent connections to real peers.

However, a study has shown that neither methods are actually effective. At best, each can slow down the download for a couple of minutes. BitTorrent clients now have built in safeguards against such attacks, which the study also finds are somewhat ineffective. At best, these attacks are a minor annoyance. In reality, most people aren't even aware of an attack occurring, such are the underwhelming effects of them.

Oh well, another couple of million dollars down the drain in the fight against piracy for the RIAA/MPAA.

More:

For years RIAA and MPAA members have hired companies to attack popular BitTorrent swarms in an attempt to interfere with their downloads. According to a recently published paper by New York University researchers, these attacks are highly ineffective. At best, they slow downloads for a few minutes, something most users don't even notice.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I think PeerGuardian also helps a lot.

That is, until the government knows it exists and manages to get new IPs before the database is updated every morning...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡