Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows won't detect my tv (nvidia geforce gts 250)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisDeluxe
    • Oct 2009

Windows won't detect my tv (nvidia geforce gts 250)

I've presented this problem to nvidia as well but so far nothing has worked. Here is my problem and answers from nvidia:

I seem to have a problem finding my tv from the control panel.
    I'm using a s-vhs adaptor with rgb connection which has worked earlier but not with this card.

Following the steps in the thread "Connecting a video card to a TV and enabling TV output" didn't do me much good since I don't have a Video & Television button.

1. Have you tried reinstalling the display driver or tried installing any other driver version?
    2. Is this the first time you trying to connect the TV?
    3. Please check in the Windows display properties if the TV is detected and is active.
    4. What is the length of the cable that you are using and are you using any adaptor to connect to the TV?
    5. As a part of troubleshooting, have you tried connecting a known good TV?

Answers:
    1: Yes. I've installed both official and unofficial ones but nothing changes the fact that the tv isn't found in nview.
    2: With this card, yes. I've used the tv successfully with my previous ati card though.
    3: It is not, though I managed to get it detected with unofficial drivers and the old control panel though the picture on the tv was still unresponsive.
    4: About 5 meters, the same cable I've used successfully for years.
    5: Well, yes. This tv I consider good since it has worked before.

Second answer from nvidia:

The issue you are experiencing is not the general behavior of the graphics card or its driver. However, such issue could occur either:

1. If the display driver is not registered properly in Windows.
    2. Or, it could be due to corrupted driver files.

Hence, in order to troubleshoot the issue further, I would request you to try installing the updated display driver version 191.03, using driver cleaner software which will help you in uninstalling all the undeleted older display driver files from your computer in safe mode.

Please perform the following steps described below.

1. Please follow the installation and uninstallation steps given below in Safe Mode with networking.

1. Restart the computer.
    2. While the computer is restarting simultaneously, keep tapping the function key "F8" on the keyboard.
    3. Now, you will need to select "Safe mode with Networking."

2. Download and save the graphic card driver on the desktop by visiting the page at the following link.

Please visit the link below to download the display driver:

Please visit the link below to download the driver:

(link to 191.03 beta driver)

On the following page, accept the Terms and Conditions and click on "Download Now" to download the drivers. (Save the file on the Desktop).

* Once you download the file, Please perform the below mentioned steps to uninstall the drivers currently installed on your PC,

1. Right click on the Computer icon on the desktop or on the start menu.
    2. Select properties.
    3. In the next window select Device Manager.
    4. On the Device Manager Window click on the (+) sign next to Display Adapters.
    5. Double click on the Graphics Card Option.
    6. On the Graphics Properties Page, select driver and click on Uninstall to uninstall the Graphics Drivers.

After uninstalling the older drivers, please visit the link given below to download and run the driver cleaner utility on your Computer.

(link to the utility)

After downloading and running the driver cleaner utility, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers listed with in the utility and please double click on the file saved on the Desktop to install the new drivers for your graphics card.

NOTE- Before installing the new drivers please disable Anti Virus program if you are running on your computer.

If the issue persists please try installing the driver version 178.24 following the same instructions.

(link to the driver)

And finally my second answer: None of the recommended thingamys have worked.

God, I wish I'd gone for ATI as usual.

Anyone got any ideas?

Peace
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

You've probably tried this, but with the computer turned off, have the TV turned on and switched to the appropriate input channel to be used for the connection, and then turn on your computer. The TV detection seems to take place at boot up, and when I do this, I sometimes even see the boot up screen on the TV (instead of on the main monitor!).

Also, instead of S-Video to RGB, have you tried S-Video to S-Video? Composite?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ChrisDeluxe
      • Oct 2009

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried your first suggestion numerous times but the tv is simply unresponsive to whatever drivers, programs or startup methods I try.

I know exactly what you mean since I had a ati card before and the startup screen showed on that even though I hadn't configurated it in windows.

Considering the cable question I'm not sure what I should do. This config has worked for about 10 years (true, with different cables, adaptors and tvs). But this exact hardware worked just 1 day before I bought and installed a new computer(motherboard, processor, memory, gfx etc.).
      I haven't tried any other connections since I don't own other cables that long.

I've had problems with nview before but from what I can tell this time.. the port is out of order.
      Last edited by ChrisDeluxe; 24 Oct 2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• Zikarot
        • Oct 2009

Same problem

I have just bought the 250 GTS (1GB DK) and I'm having the exact same problem when trying to connect DVI - HDMI (I have a DVI - HDMI cable, of course). I've uninstalled once and again the drivers, replacing them with the newest one without any result... I'm on Windows 7 and will try it in Windows 7 Ultimate, but I don't really have any hope it will work.
        If someone has found the solution to this issue, it will be highly appreciated...

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Have you tried the drivers that came with the card (on the CD/DVD), as opposed to the ones you download from Nvidia? If that works, then try the latest ones on offer from the card's manufacturer's website (not Nvidia). If the manufacturer is using a non reference design, then this might help.

But I would still somehow try to test out s-video to s-video, just to rule out the adapter as the cause of the problem.

Comment

• Zikarot
            • Oct 2009

Same result... has anyone been able to connect their 250GTS 1GB to the TV through a HDMI-DVI cable?... I'm starting to get really annoyed...

Comment

• ChrisDeluxe
              • Oct 2009

I'm sorry but GeForce GTS 250 products do not support RGB via S-video. Try testing with VGA/DB15 to RGB or RGB/HV cable.

Well... don't put the connector on the card in the first place then?

Thanks for the help admin

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by Zikarot
                I have just bought the 250 GTS (1GB DK) and I'm having the exact same problem when trying to connect DVI - HDMI (I have a DVI - HDMI cable, of course). I've uninstalled once and again the drivers, replacing them with the newest one without any result... I'm on Windows 7 and will try it in Windows 7 Ultimate, but I don't really have any hope it will work.
                If someone has found the solution to this issue, it will be highly appreciated...
                My first instinct is to try it on another OS, perhaps Vista or XP, as 7 is still quite new and I'm sure there will be problems like this.

Is it a TV you're trying to connect to, or a monitor? If it's a TV, how long is the cable?

Comment

• Zikarot
                  • Oct 2009

It's a TV (Philips LCD, about 27"), HDMI in. It's a 2 metre DVI-HDMI cable... I'll try with another system but... I've already tried with XP and win 32-64bits...

Comment

• MilkyOne
                    • Feb 2010

Need original bios for GTS250 1GB DK

Originally Posted by Zikarot
                    I know its not a answer to your problem, but i badly flash my gts250 1GB DK and forgot to make a backup first. If you still have the card can you please make a backup of the bios and send me the file.
                    You can save your bios usinng GPU-Z.

If you can please tell me i will provide a mail or provide me with a link to download.

Thank You in advance.
                    Last edited by MilkyOne; 7 Feb 2010, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Zikarot
                      • Oct 2009

megaupload.com/?d=B6QD08D1

There you go!

-_- ! Still no answer to my problem... I guess I'm just doomed xD

Comment

• Zikarot
                        • Oct 2009

More than a year has passed! And I still got the same problem. Has anyone found out how to solve it?

Cheers!

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

I think the latest Nvidia drivers have some sort of troubleshooting mode for connecting external displays. I have some trouble recently with an Nvidia driven laptop and connecting to a TV with HDMI (the laptop had HDMI output though), and it required a weird activation sequence, where you connect the cable, turn the laptop on, start the Nvidia control panel and go to the external output section (or whatever it is called), and then turn on the TV, and possibly have to switch around the inputs, and only then, did the TV get detected by the Nvidia drivers.

So sometimes it's just a matter of trying everything, including turning on the TV before the computer.

Another thing you have to make sure is that you're outputting to an HDMI compatible format, as some TVs only accept 720p (1280x720 @ 60Hz) and 1080p (1920x1080 @ 60 Hz) via the HDMI input (some TVs do accept more common computer resolutions, such as 1366x768, so check your TV's instructional manual).

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎