Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this supposed to take more than 14 hours?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Mabuse
    • Nov 2009

Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude
    But now there's another problem - isn't there always? The audio and video tracks are slightly out of synch. The audio track is about 1 second ahead of the video track. It's not distracting enough to make me add to the collection of bodies behind the second-tallest oak tree at the back of the property, but I would like to correct it anyway.

So: any suggestions, thoughts, or theories on how to synchronize what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing?
    My main complaints about DVDFlick were: long encoding time, limited number of files supported, and audio/video sync issues.

The majority of the audio/video sync issues are resolved by marking the radio button to 'ignore avi offsets'. An AVI is not a file, it's a wrapper, and they all have offset times set in ms in there. While the file works for playback as an AVI just fine, when encoded the encoder will try to 'live by' those offsets and they result in an out of sync finished product on DVD.

It took me a coaster to find out about ignoring offsets, it fixed most of the issues. As I give this tip around the net on forums I find many people have their issues resolved. When you have... say an AVI loaded in DVDFlick, choose 'edit title' in the upper right, click on 'audio tracks'. then highlight the track or tracks one by one and choose 'edit' to the right. Put a check in the box for 'Ignore audio delay for this track' on each and every audio track. That tells DVDFlick to ignore the AVI offsets and sync the video/audio up on it's own terms. This resolves most if not all of the problems.

So try that. Hope that helps.

My question about the long encoding time is if you are getting a better final product, meaning multiple passes(that option has been removed in latest version though so I suspect a constant bit rate now), or the open source engine simply takes longer than something like ConvertXtoDVD, which does a good job with a single pass. When you move to TMPGEnc Plus or the like you get much longer multiple pass encoding times that may well go for 12 hours. But the output quality is better by a sometimes noticeable margin, other times little difference except how much you can customize menus and whatnot.

Anyone know that stuff well and can answer?

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

it is only "a margin" in most cases, dr mabuse

i have tested avstodvd against convertxtodvd a couple of days ago with HD input

convertx was WAY faster than hcenc (which i used with 2 passes in avstodvd) but in many scenes the result was full of macroblocks and artefacts

so to this final day nothing has changed: you get what you pay for

if you want the better/best quality go for an ENcoder and prepare for quite some time encoding

Comment

• Dr Mabuse
        • Nov 2009

Thanks.

I'm gonna check out AVStoDVD.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
          Thanks.

I'm gonna check out AVStoDVD.
          I think the latest HC 0.24 beta (Oct. 20) is a bit faster. At least it showed faster time in "multi-instance" mode when I did the same job in DVD Rebuilder using 0.23 and 0.24(it completed the same video conversion in about 5% less time with the same settings.) AVStoDVD uses multi-threaded mode. But I've used HC 0.24 for a while now and haven't noticed anything negative. You can also make the same substitution in DVD-RB and FAVC and likely others. You can download here:

Download HC024_beta_20-10-2009.zip free. File size 1MB. Direct download link.

Just save the original HC by renaming it in case for some reason you have to change it back. The author of AVStoDVD says he hasn't used the 0.24 yet because he hasn't tried it enough, but he's getting user feedback. Next released will likely have the new beta as default.

Comment

• oposky2006
            Banned
            • Nov 2009

it will depend on how large your files and your computer disposition.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎