Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Mabuse
    • Nov 2009

TMPGEnc Plus vs ConvertXtoDVD

ConvertXtoDVD is easy to use, quick as these things go, and produces perfectly acceptable output from a good source file.

TMPGEnc Plus is able to do multi-pass encoding and you can adjust bitrates and other aspects of the encoding process that simply aren't available in ConvertXtoDVD. I'm not familiar with the program but I know these things from checking it out.

My question is this: If I have a pretty good quality - say 6 gig - MP4 and I'm wanting to convert it to watch on a DVD, is TMPGEnc Plus so much better as to output quality to warrant my changing over to it? I've seen video... kind of video snobs say they can tell a small difference between the two outputs and TMPGEnc Plus wins by a sometimes noticeable margin when viewing output on a good display.

I am happy with the 'quick and simple' 1 pass output of ConvertXtoDVD, it usually takes a ~6 gig MP4 and makes around a ~2.6 Mpeg2 file for the disc that looks nice on playback. Could I do a lot better with TMPGEnc Plus? I understand the encode times go way up, but if there is higher quality output is it worth it?

Opinions here?
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I think you can do better than either with free programs that use HC Enc. Take a look at AVStoDVD and FAVC. It doesn't use HC Enc but DVD Flick also does a good job if you are downsizing to standard DVD resolution. You can also downmix DTS to AC3 if necessary using all of the above.

I own TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 but nowadays esp. if you have a multi-core PC you can get faster throughput with just as good or better quality with AVStoDVD or FAVC. In fact, FAVC lets you launch an instance of the video encoder per core. It gets it done.

AVStoDVD isn't quite as fast as FAVC but it's quick and produces very good quality. I know people who use the Lock Button to force it to use HC Enc 2 pass no matter what the bitrate.

Also you can substitute the Oct. 20 HC 0.24 beta for the one that these apps install, just by renaming the beta to the appropriate filename and replacing the default installed copy of HC.

Comment

• Dr Mabuse
      • Nov 2009

Thanks.

I'm checking out AVStoDVD.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
        Thanks.

I'm checking out AVStoDVD.
        It's a nice program. FAVC has its good points too. Unfortunately it looks like FAVC v. 1.07 is the last release.

Comment

• Gillou
          • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
          It's a nice program. FAVC has its good points too. Unfortunately it looks like FAVC v. 1.07 is the last release.
          MilesAhead do you know where to find a good online guide for AVStoDVD?
          Thanks

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I haven't noticed any guides per se. I'd suggest just reading the help. When I first started using it the things that threw me were 1) you have to adjust some settings for the project you want to do while the project is empty. IOW, make your settings adjustments, then drop source files on. 2) The bit rate ranges. When it calculates the bit rate, if in the lowest range it will set up to use HC Enc 2 pass.. if in the middle range it will use HC Enc 1 pass.. if in the highest range it will use QuEnc 1 pass constant bit rate. You can override this by selecting the encoder and passes you want and hitting the Lock Button on the video encoding tab. For example if you always want to use HC Enc 2 pass, select the lowest range and hit the Lock Button.

Some settings such as disc output size can be adjusted after you already have a source file in. After you've done a couple then it seems more natural.

Pay attention in the help to which resizers to use if you are increasing or diminishing resolution. The default choice is good for sizing up, but if say you have an HD .mkv and want to convert to standard DVD, look in the filter descriptions in the help. It shows which are good for that purpose.

Just takes a couple of runs to see why he set it up the way he did.
            Plus you can ask the programmer directly on Doom9 forum.

Comment

• Gillou
              • Apr 2005

thanks. I couldn't find a guide either...wondering why.
              Also, as far as options go, it seems there is no "Video arrange Method" like the one available in TMPGEnc Plus. Too bad.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

I guess the way to add things not in options is to edit the .avs script. There's an option where you can edit the AviSynth script before it fires off. I'm no expert with AviSynth but you can do some cool stuff if the app lets you edit the script. For example, FAVC only supports .srt subs. Sometimes all I can get are idx/sub binary subs. But there's a button on the last Tab "do not start batch file." I check that and run it. In the working folder there are .avs scripts for each title. I can add a line VobSub("c:\somevideo") to hard code the idx/sub subtitles for "somevideo" in. Then just run the batch file. Also sometimes you get some almost unwatchable video that can be cleaned up with decomb or anti-blocking filters just by adding one or two lines.

You can download additional filters and find example scripts on:
                Main Page,Advanced Scripting Tips,Advanced topics,Arrays,Aspect ratios,AviSynth FAQ,AviSynth Syntax,AviSynth v3,Avisynth Plugin Development in C,Block statements,Changelist

Plus there's probably a Wiki and some other resources for AviSynth if you google.

Comment

• Dr Mabuse
                  • Nov 2009

I would add to this thread:

The new version 4 release of ConvertXtoDVD is actually producing superior multi-pass image quality when compared to multi-pass AVStoDVD. Noticeably better.

You guys might want to revisit the issue. The version 4 release is one of the best upgrades to a software package in a single version increment I've ever seen.

I've seen screencaps on forums with comparisons between the two that also show better image quality coming from a properly configured CX2D.

I'm back to using CX2D exclusively now.

Comment

• freevideotutor
                    • Apr 2007

I agree with Dr Mabuse. ConvertXtoDVD is a fantastic program, easy to use, it compresses well and if you want to burn a quick DVD, it's the program to go for. Unless you're a video snob, who's always focusing on video quality rather than the DVD itself, it's a program you'll be happy with.

Even a medium quality with one pass returns impressive results.

Digital Video Articles, Tutorials and Reviews

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎