X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 55trucker
    • Nov 2009

IFOEDIT (what it can & cannot do)

Hello there and thx for the registration:

I don't often find myself altering production line DVD's with the exception of perhaps ripping a copy for myself and using a program such as 1CLICKDVD to produce just the movie removing all the unwanted extras. But right now I've got myself a project that is more involved and I'm not quite sure if what I am attempting is exceeding what IFOEDIT is capable of looking after. I am trying to take a 2 episode movie that was mass produced onto two DVD's and join these two together to make one lengthy movie without the unwanted trailing credits at the end of Prt 1 and the lead in credits at the beginning of Prt 2. Copying all vob files into a folder (with the IFO's from the first part as well) I have made use of VIDEOREDO to edit the cells to remove what I do not want. VIDEOREDO then joined the entire collection together giving me a 2:40:00 min movie in ONE vob file. VIDEOREDO manual states that the chapters are aligned during this process to keep them in their new order. The time stamp seems to be correct as it is displayed as the entire 2:40:00. I can play the vob itself in either Powerdvd or VLC and they both play the large vob without error. Now WHAT my problem is....is IFOEDIT can't seem to correctly write the needed IFO's to allow me to burn the project to a disc. When I attempt to use IFOEDIT to do this the program WILL make an attempt but when finished writing the VTS_01_0.VOB it has only written the 1st cell and none of the rest. I'm first setting the size of the vob's to no limit to keep the vob the single size (this will not necessarily stay this way if needed), because there is no user manual with IFOEDIT I don't really know what it's limitations are. At the moment I cannot post a pic so you can see what IFOEDIT has done. At this point I'm just wanting to know if what I'm throwing at the program is beyond its capabilities and if so is there another editing program that Can do this task.
    Last edited by blutach; 29 Nov 2009, 07:34 AM.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

First, may I alert you to rule 19? Please do not discuss ripping on this forum.

There is a guide on the IFOEdit site to joining movies with VobEdit. See here. It's probably worthwhile scrolling up that page to read the "join clips" guide too. Remember afterwards to ensure the subpicture palette is correct. And it should not be trying to output VTS_01_0.IFO as that is a menu VOB. It should start at VTS_01_1.VOB (up to 9).

There are other ways to do this - one is to demux title 1 into a folder and title 2 into another folder and remux them together with muxman. Your chapter points are contained in a file called celltimes.txt

There are also some one click programs (such as DVD2One and Nero Recode) which will join the "main movies" and output as a single title.

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 29 Nov 2009, 07:32 AM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• 55trucker
      • Nov 2009

Thx for the welcome Les........I apologize for the use of the *R* word....didn't realize that my mention of it would be misconstrued as a discussion. All that I have here in home that is mainstream recorded media has been legally purchased. Occasionally I will alter a purchased movie to suit my personal viewing tastes (in this case ...trying to make use of a single disc rather than two).

Back to my dilemma.....I tried the route you suggested (I do have a copy of VobEdit)...First off......these two discs have a combined total of 27 chapters..13 & 14 consecutively.....what I have to do to accomplish what I want is to edit out half of the last chapter on disc one (movie credits) and do the same for the lead in disc two ( lead in credits)now making these two both less than 1048mb (disc ones last vob is already smaller than 1048). Now, when I do this I am altering the chapter information and the timestamping on both of these two independent vob files (in this case it would be VTS_01_3 from the first disc & VTS_01_1 from the second disc)..(the second discs vobs have all been renumbered 5, 6 ,7 & 8 so as to fall into sequence with disc one's vobs. I used VobEdit this time to join all of these vobs. It did so and sequenced them all to 1048mb except for the last one which is something smaller. After performing this I then made use of IFOEDIT to write the new IFO & BUP files for this project. I did a clean *create IFOs*. IFOEDIT ran thru the function and did create the IFO's. When I went into the program to see what it had written looking at the VTS_TS.IFO all looks fine with the exception that I now only have 21 chapters (I was expecting perhaps 26). The video format is correct & so is the audio. I now go into VTS_01_0.IFO and look at the pgc I see the (only)21 chapters and the movie is only 1:58:00 long instead of 2:35:00. What I can't show you here is that chapter 10 is out of sequence according to its time position (it matches the info for chapter 9 as far as position is concerned...in this case 59:49:19). The time for chapter 10 is listed as 00:00:00 at 30 fps whereas all the rest of the chapters except the last (21 also 30fps) are 25fps. The frame sequence is also off...chapter 9 in this case is 89744, chapter 11 is 98641 and chapter 10 is 107689. If I attempt to play the vobs thru IFOEDIT (play) the movie will run fine until you get to chapter 10...when the program gets there the time counter has a heart attack.....goes completely out of kilter, the program freezes, everyting stops and one has to shut down IFOEDIT. If I play the vobs independently with Power DVD or VLC the vobs will run fine (but then of course, they are not using the program information to play the vobs as needed for a DVD player). Now, I'm assuming this has happened all because I have altered two portions of two vob files and IFOEDIT cannot re-sequence them properly. So at this point I'm wondering why the new IFO's don't show the modified movie as 2:35:00 and what has happened to chapter 10. Help is most appreciated.......thx,

Steve

Comment

• 55trucker
        • Nov 2009

I do have a copy of and older version of Nero (version 6), I've never used Nero for anything more than the burning program, to just burn backup data and cd's for music. So I reinstalled the recode program and ran it on the two discs. Disc 2 was analyzed & edited as needed without any flaws. Not so fortunate with Disc one. Recode has found an error on the first vob VTS_01_1, right at 11:56:00 there is a decode error in the stream (now I didn't know precisely what the problem is, Recode would just freeze at this point and quit).

I went back into IFOEDT more than once and attempted to rewrite the IFO's & also re-stream this vob. No luck. I opened the vob with Chapter Edit and scanned to the faulty location. As soon as the program opens this point the program gives me the error message(decode error 11, Preview). The image is horizontally broken into 2 sections. Now that I see that there is something wrong with the vob I'm wondering what to do to repair this. I tried making another (multiple times) copy, this does not solve the problem, the problem seems to be on my original copy as it keeps appearing on the duplicates. Any suggestions as to what I can do to repair this situation?

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

To repair it, you need to start again from a pristine original. All your machinations with outdated progs like those mentioned in post 1 have probably brought you unstuck.

Regards
          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎