• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkm
    • Dec 2006

Newbie question - editing VOB files

Hi,
    I have TMPGEnc 4.0 Express and trying to edit a VOB file
    to remove stuff before and after the part I want to keep.

I get it all edited OK (apart from the very last frame which
    doesn't seem to allow itself to be selected) but there
    is no Save option - only Encode.

Am I missing something, or can this program not save VOB files?
    Thanks for any help.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

The latest TMPGEnc I own is 2.54. I'm not familiar with the new versions. But if you want to just select part of a vob file and save it to disk I'd try AviDemux. It's free. The editor is intuitive. It has back and forward arrows to go to the next I-frame. You move the Start and End where you want and hit the Diskette icon on the toolbar to save that section. Couldn't be easier.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

tmpgenc xpress will convert and save as dvd complient mpeg2 file. u have to reauthor again to dvd structure i.e vob files using seperate program.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• kirkm
        • Dec 2006

Thank you for the replies. Have downloaded AviDEmux and about to experiment. I understand tmpgenc won't do what I want... I also tried TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX Authoring but that mucked up the menus (and I gave up trying to sort that!).
        Will AviDEmux allow editing of existing vob file(s) and keep any existing menu structure?

Thanks.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

AviDemux has simple "select a slice and save" editing. It's not designed as an authoring tool. It sounds like you need a comprehensive authoring package. Or you could check out something like IfoEdit. I've heard of "navpacks" when it comes to .vob files but I haven't studied the structure or exactly how they are created etc..

I just learned enough to do what I want to do. So I can provide a tidbit here and there.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎