Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ramboost
    • Jan 2004

Capture analog video in h.264

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all

I am about to begin to digitalize my old VHS and Video8/Hi8 tapes. I do not neccesarily need to burn these to DVD/Bluray, so my video format should be optimzed for playback on a computer (or DLNA compliant equipment).
    I have bought a Happauge WinTV-HVR-900-HD, which is a hybrid TV tuner both for analog and digital DVB-C.

When trying to capture with WinTV, it seems that I can only capture the analog VHS video stream in MPEG2. This would be fine if I just needed to burn the stuff to DVD. But as mentioned I want to keep my video on my NAS, and I am therefore interested in capture it in MPEG4/h.264, which should be superior to MPEG2 in terms of quality and compression (as far as I understand it). I know I can always make this in two steps by capturing in MPEG2 and afterwards encoding in MPEG4, but I have many hours of old video tapes, and would like to be able to capture directly to the best video format.

So actually I have two questions:
    - Is MPEG4/h.264 the most optimal video format to keep my video in, considering that it should be optimized for playback on computer and DLNA clients (stored on my NAS).
    - Are there any software tool (for Windows) that can capture my analog video directly to MPEG4/h.264 by using my Hauppauge TV tuner?

I am really looking forward to hearing any inputs in this. Thanks in advance.

Ramboost
  • Tona-msultan
    • Dec 2012

Ramboost,
    To answer your second question, here is one software called Metus INGEST.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎