X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scarfacechen
    • Jan 2010

Cutting a AVI file in half

hi. apology if this been ask before

i got this avi file that is 1.36gb in size. i normally watch avi on my philips dvp5980 dvd player via a USB flash key. but its coming up as codec not supported. i google search the problem and was told to download VirtualDuB, VirtualDubMod, and GSpot which i have. i think the problem is my DVD player can't view the file is because its too big and maybe if i cut it in half it may work. but the problem now is when i go to open the file in VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod im getting this error:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'H264' (unknown)"

"VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

any idea why...?

or if there a codec problem with my DVD player (all other avi file work fine except for this particular file)

mucho thanks in advance
    Last edited by scarfacechen; 22 Jan 2010, 09:49 PM.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

the fact that a player will NOT play the file is hardly ever related to its size.
    an exception are mkv files nowadays to be played on blu-ray player. in this case it does happen that the mkv is larger than 4.x and the player does not support ntfs and thus cannot play the file without cutting it down to fit fat32 norms.

in your case cutting will NOT help as the video codec seems to be h/x264 which is rather seldom for avi and does not make much sense but anyway.

try installing ffdshow and set its configuration to decode h264 in order to make vd/vdmod accept the format

you will, however, need to convert the video stream to a format which your player accepts like divc/xvid and maybe even the sound can not be played by your player

Comment

• scarfacechen
      • Jan 2010

thank for the help UncasMS.

manage to get VirtualDub to open that particular avi file by installing ffdshow.. like u said in your post cutting the the file didnt work on my player.

"you will, however, need to convert the video stream to a format which your player accepts like divc/xvid and maybe even the sound can not be played by your player"

im having trouble doing this ^^

i follow the AVI to DIVX conversation guide in digital digest webpage and follow the instruction word for word but when i get to this part :

5.Still in the Audio menu, select the option "AVI audio" (i cannot see the AVI audio in my virtualdub)

and

6.Go to the Audio menu and select "compression", and set it to MPEG-3 with frequency matching that of your original AVI file, and also bitrate to at least 96. You may need to turn on the "Show all format" option to see all available options. (when set to MPEG-3 and click to "show all format" there nothing there)

anyway i given up this file lol.. nothing but headache.. am going to make a data disk and stored in on there and hopefully that would play on my dvd if not

thanks again

PEACE

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

in later vd versions you might want to select:

- audio => direct stream copy
        (if you want to keep the audio as it comes; no compression, no further loss, no additional encoding time)

- video => FULL processing mode
        (in order to REencode the video stream from h264 to xvid etc)

AND:
        - video => compression
        (select codec and bitrate of your choice here - if you dont have something like xvid: download and install it!)

finally use:
        - file => save as avi

if this doesnt help you, tell us which version you use as vd and vdmod have undergone quite some changes over the years

Comment

• scarfacechen
          • Jan 2010

ah i see..

thank for that.. its currently REencoding as i type.. using the 1.9.8 version of VD (sorry i didnt check to see if this was the latest version)

estimate time 1hrs

by doing this -----> - audio => direct stream copy
          (if you want to keep the audio as it comes; no compression, no further loss, no additional encoding time) would this affect the syncing of the audio and video?

anyway i will post back and let you know if everything work out

/finger cross

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

sync should not be affected as the video stream should not be change in its number of frames but one never knows

Comment

• scarfacechen
              • Jan 2010

hip hip HOORAAAY!!!

done, sorted.. video and audio is fine and its plays perfectly on my player..

i wanna thank you for the your time, advice and helped given today UncasMS.. am really grateful.

i learnt something new and my missus is well impressed with me (was a movie she wanted to watch for a while) lol (she think i sussed it out on my own)

PEACE and GOOD HEALTH

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

hehehe, well done

and make sure the missus does not drop in to read in this forum

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢