Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • airyx
    • Jan 2010

New to DVD Flick need help please

hey all, i just got DVD Flick and i've used it to make some TV episodes into a DVD, well the video quality is excellent on my home player on the TV but the audio is out of sync, the TV episodes are all .avi format and it took 3 hours + to do 5 40ish minute episodes, i was told its suppose to be a much faster process with no encoding but its obviously encoding, are they suppose to be in a different format like mpeg-2? someone please help? thanks!

EDIT: forgot to add that after DVD Flick is done i'm using Imgburn to burn the VIDEO and AUDIO folders onto the DVD
    Last edited by admin; 25 Jan 2010, 01:40 PM.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DVD Flick had to do the encoding because the original files were encoded with MPEG-2 (if it's AVI files, then they are almost certainly not MPEG-2). The audio sync problem could be due to several factors (assuming the AVI files played perfectly), and you might want to convert the AVI files to DVD compliant MPEG-2 using an external encoder first prior to using DVD Flick on them (and then DVD Flick won't re-encode). This guide may be of help:

This guide shows you how to turn an AVI file into MPEG-2 compatible M2V/AC3 streams using QuEnc and other tools

Try it with one file and then make a test DVD in DVD Flick with this file to see if the sync problem remains. If it does, I wonder whether it may be helpful to re-encode the AVI files, since they may not have been encoded properly in the first place:

This guide shows you how to use AVI ReComp to re-compress your AVI files to XviD for the purpose of cropping, resizing, adding in subtitles, or re-encoding for standalone player, game console compatibility
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• airyx
      • Jan 2010

thanks alot for the reply, can you reccomend a free program that will convert to mpeg-2? and does it take a long time to convert to mpeg-2?

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

The guide I linked to above (the first one) shows you an all freeware solution to AVI to DVD compliant MPEG-2.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by airyx
          thanks alot for the reply, can you reccomend a free program that will convert to mpeg-2? and does it take a long time to convert to mpeg-2?
          Many times you can get audio out of sync because during the video conversion the frame rate is changed. It's better, faster and easier if you can get a stand-alone DVD player or set top box that has native support for .avi and .divx, that can also play both NTSC and PAL formats. Reencoding from PAL to NTSC or vice versa often messes up the audio sync since they have different frame rates.

Many times all you need to do to clean up .avi files to play on stand-alone is load them into AviDemux with all the automation options checked, and save the file.

The newer divx players are much less finicky about .avi and .divx then they used to be(esp. if they are Ultra Divx certified.) Also because you are not encoding to mpeg2 you can fit more episodes on a disc. Just make a data dvd with the .avi files on it. Imgburn Build Mode will do it.

Comment

• airyx
            • Jan 2010

well i tried using quenc to encode the .avi over to mpeg-2 and one file took like 3 hours

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by airyx
              well i tried using quenc to encode the .avi over to mpeg-2 and one file took like 3 hours
              What's your PC specs? What's the play time of the .avi file? Details would be helpful. I can't see from here.

Comment

• airyx
                • Jan 2010

oh sorry

Windows 7 64-bit
                2160 1.80GHZ
                4GB DDR2
                GeForce 9800 GTX+

for the record i burnt Gandhi using DVD Flick and Imgburn and it worked perfectly fine but trying to burn lost episodes about 41 minutes each the audio is off everytime putting about 5 episodes on each disk, tried it 3 times and its the same everytime :/

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

I've had pretty good luck with DVD Flick but there are other freewares if you want to encode to standard DVD. You could try AvsToDVD, FAVC.. or others. Most have the ability to use HC Encode. When I'm encoding to DVD from avi usually what I do is look at the frame rate. If the .avi is 25 fps I encode it as PAL dvd. Otherwise NTSC. My players can play both PAL and NTSC. Changing the frame rate is usually the culprit. If you have no choice but to output NTSC then you might look for an encoder that has an option to use DGPulldown.

I would use AviDemux to slice off a piece of an .avi and convert it until you successfully circumvent the sync issue. Then try a whole movie. It's a lot less frustrating to do a 10 minute test than to wait for a whole video to process with unusable output.

Comment

• airyx
                    • Jan 2010

hmmmm well when i'm encoding with DVD Flick the frame rate is in the 60's but then if i play WoW or something its down in the 20's, should i use DVD Flick by itself with my PC doing nothing else until it finishes?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

I think the best idea is get a stand-alone that plays avi/divx. Avoids the whole encoding altogether. This seems to be getting circular. If you post the MediaInfo stats from a couple of the .avi files you are trying to encode then maybe someone can help you. Otherwise I think it's at an impasse.

edit: btw I found this excellent guide how to fix up audio sync when you've already created the DVD folder:

Last edited by MilesAhead; 26 Jan 2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Dr Mabuse
                        • Nov 2009

The best answer to this would have been telling DVDFlick to ignore AVI offsets.

That is always the most likely cause of audio and video sync options when using DVDFlick to process an AVI file.

AVI files(actually a container) have simple sync offsets within the container. They mess up things during encoding because the program will try to 'live' by those hard offset times.

As I give this tip around the net on forums I find many people have their issues resolved. When you have an AVI loaded in DVDFlick, choose 'edit title' in the upper right, click on 'audio tracks'. then highlight the track or tracks one by one and choose 'edit' to the right. Put a check in the box for 'Ignore audio delay for this track' on each and every audio track. That tells DVDFlick to ignore the AVI offsets and sync the video/audio up on it's own terms. This resolves most if not all of the problems.

It's a strange rhythm of posts on this whole forum, almost like at some point something happened and there was a mass exodus or something. Some of you mods and regulars might remember the above though, since you will be more likely to answer questions of this type in the future.

Sometimes, before you take the whole engine apart and reveal your in-depth knowledge of the internal combustion engine in all its glory... it's a better move to make sure gas is in the tank before you declare a problem with the engine. If you follow my metaphor.

Comment

• freevideotutor
                          • Apr 2007

Alternative Free Video to DVD Converter

You can give DVDVideoSoft's Free Video to DVD Converter a try. Among others it supports a host of video formats and allows you to create a simple menu apart from burning a collection of video files to a single DVD disc.

DVD Flick is a good program. I've not encountered any problem with it. If it's giving you a headache, try DVDVideoSoft's freeware program.

DVD Flick Tutorial

Digital Video Freeware, Articles, Tutorials and Reviews

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎