Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mahler888
    • Jan 2010

Need help on AVI files

Newbie here, thank you all! Hope I can get some help. Ok, here is what happened, I burned all my xvid avi files on dvd using Nero, now ALL files won't play saying unsupported format or unknown codec etc, on all types of media and codec player, as well as on other stand alone player.

All the files are intact via size, name, extension and other attributes. I don't know whether there's a setting being set or altered codec that I'm unable to check whilst burning the files. The media I used is a Kodak 16x 4.7Gb DVD+, no problem with the batch of discs I bought as I have used the same to burn all my other movies, only on this particular music video compilation.

Tried getting information via Gspot and other AV codec indentifier programs but still cannot recognize the file. There are hundreds of music video collection for my personal use but I already deleted them on my hard disk and I do want to download them all over again, if a fix is possible.

I have a sample file but the site wont let me upload link being a new user, give me your address for anyone expert who wishes to help and take a look at a file and suggest recovery or a fix. TIA!
  • nagidar
    • Feb 2008

Need help on avi files

Try copying the avi files back to your hard drive and see if GSpot can read them.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

Perhaps these audio files are copy protected? That's what it sounds like(no pun intended.)

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

I have a sample file but the site wont let me upload link being a new user
        Upload to any file hosting site and post the link here.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• mahler888
          • Jan 2010

Thank you guys for the reply,

The files were working properly prior to the transfer, were able to view/play them from pc, or either from DVD-RW or USB thumb drive as I occassionally play them over to my vehicle. I decided to burn it permanently on a DVD+ R to free space on my hdd as my personal files build up. I just don't know if there were any copy protection settings I missed during the burn using Nero Express, but I have been doing the burning for ages without any common, unrecognizable problems.

I have tried copying the entire DVD contents back to my hard drive and have it opened by Gspot or AVIcodec (even tried a couple more codec programs but still the same) but not even they can recognize ALL of the files. All files seemed intact and uncorrupted since the entire files on disc have the same instance and can copy them back and forth to my pc, it is something like the file's attributes or codec that have been altered which renders it unreadable even if the extension remains to be .avi. Even tried to convert the files to any other format but the 3 programs I used similarly can't recognize the files.

A single sample av file can be downloaded below and hopefully you guys can take a look at it, TIA!

rapidshare.com/files/343296004/Bolshoi_-_Away.avi

Comment

• kissbye
            • Jan 2010

have you tried play it in DVD player?

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

A single sample av file can be downloaded below and hopefully you guys can take a look at it
              I tried to open that file with Mediainfo and GSpot. None could open it.Nor could either of them detect the file type.That file will not play in MPC. So, I doubt whether it is a valid video file at all.
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• nagidar
                • Feb 2008

Need help on avi files

Try to re-convert one of the files using the program "X To Dvd"...I had a file that would not play and this solved the problem.

Comment

• mahler888
                  • Jan 2010

paglamon, yes exactly none could open it even the file information programs like Gspot and I'm really puzzled. I have normal burning settings with Nero as what I have been doing for years and for hundreds of discs. All the files inside the disc are having the same, unrecognizable format, but the file size, extension and as far as I can remember the attributes were as intact as the original before I deleted from my hdd so I assume they are not corrupted as the DVD+ media seems to be in normal condition together with the batch I purchased. The best that I could expect is that to at least open or dissect it so that maybe I can get any clue as to what happened.

nagidar, I will try that program and see if it can open it.

Thank you guys!

ff: nagidar, is this the Convertx to DVD by VSO? Can't seem to find specific 'x to dvd' on google, anyways I have tried the Convertx to DVD and it still cant recognize the files. Thanks!
                  Last edited by mahler888; 3 Feb 2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• nagidar
                    • Feb 2008

Need help on avi files

Yes it is the VSO program.

Comment

• nig88
                      • Feb 2010

hi guys! i m a newbie, i have problm in playing DVD rip AVI file full screen, though i've installed all in one codec and Xvid player,it seems to play fine with vlc in small screen, it plays with Xvid player in larger screen but in slow motion unsychronized with sound.can sombdy help me?

Comment

• zhanghao
                        • Oct 2010

ConvertXtoDVD

Originally Posted by nagidar
                        Try to re-convert one of the files using the program "X To Dvd"...I had a file that would not play and this solved the problem.
                        I have tried out this program before.That is great and professional.
                        More User reviews: www@softwarebbs@com/wiki/VSO_ConvertXtoDVD_-_AVI_to_DVD_Video_Converter
                        (change"@"to".",you will know more.Have a good time!)
                        Last edited by zhanghao; 3 Oct 2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• ericpepin
                          • Dec 2010

Tried and its working fine. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍