Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • austind
    • Feb 2010

Problem with Facebook videos

I've been using the search feature for about 10-15 minutes now, and can't find what I'm looking for. It might be because partially searching for "mov" brings up everything with "movies" in it, but hopefully someone can help here.

I have a fairly old digital camera that saves videos into the .mov format. The videos display correctly in VLC and QuickTime and in Firefox and Chrome (when you open the video using the browsers).

I uploaded one of these videos into facebook, and I get the file with a large black frame on the right and bottom sides. It's almost like the video didn't scale right. It has the 4:3 aspect ratio, and for whatever reason, only pulls this black frame thing once it's uploaded to Facebook.

I don't want to convert the file to .mpeg/.m4v/.avi/etc, because I'd like to keep it's original quality. I need to find out what's causing this problem and how to fix it. I don't have any problems going in and messing around with coding, if it needs that type of a solution. It just seems that it's something very simple, and I don't know about it since I don't deal with videos that much. I should also note that I'm using a PC.

The attached picture shows how it looks in playback (note VLC won't let me take screenshots).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by austind; 17 Feb 2010, 09:49 AM.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

What is the resolution of your original video ?
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• austind
      • Feb 2010

According to Media Info and QT Pro, it's 320x240 at at 4:3 aspect ratio.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

May be Facebook is displaying the 4:3 video in a 16:9 window ?
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• austind
          • Feb 2010

Facebook says anything between 16:9 and 9:16 will be displayed fine. I'm assuming that means 4:3 is accepted, as well. After I converted and uploaded it as an avi, it displayed properly, but I want to try to upload it as is, so I don't lose any quality.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎