Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • larrsz
    • Aug 2009

Windows Errors with HCenc and DVDRB

I keep getting the Windows error: "encoder has encountered a problem and has to close" error with HCenc which just started. During the process, it seems to run for quite a while then I get this error. If I click "do not send" for send a report to MS, HCenc closes and opens back up and continues on its merry way. However, I must supervise the process as it seems to come up every so often and always between instances of HCenc running (VTS segments). Anyone see this before? Any suggestions?

WinXP SP3
    DVDRB
    HCenc 0.23
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

- try a more recent version of hcenc
    - have you run the very same software and hardware successfully before?
    - overclocked your machine?
    - do you use the pc while encoding?

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I would also add, if you have a multi-core PC and are using the free DVDRB you may want to get the Pro version. The code is newer and you can set it to use a copy of the encoder for each core. I seem to remember getting some glitches in the free version but the paid is pretty rock solid.

As an additional benefit, the video part of the encoding gets done a lot quicker.

Comment

• larrsz
        • Aug 2009

Same machine has been running the same version of RB and HCenc for a year. It is an older machine (not multi-core) and I do not use it while encoding (I usually start it before leaving for work or going to bed).

I will load the new beta, but this is the newest version outside of the beta. Just weird, I haven't even loaded new software since the last time I used it successfully...

We'll see- Thanks for the replies!

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

if you havent made any changes to your system you may still deal with the problem of overheating

any dustbunnies fighting for the best place around the camp fire?

make sure to clean fans and coolers - it very often makes a difference

and btw: i never used anything but the PRO version and it is definitely worth the money

Comment

• larrsz
            • Aug 2009

Not that either. I opened my box up about a month ago and got everyhting out of there (which I do about 3-4 times a year) and I have used DVRB and HCEnc at several times since then...

By the way, after about 60% total progress, it finished the process without issue (for the last hour or so). I will see if keeps it up.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

maybe your input material is truncated/bad rip?

try re-ripping

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

That's what I was thinking... something sour in the input. I seem to remember free version was more sensitive to the source material. The Pro is more robust.

I've been using the latest HC enc beta(Feb.) in another converter for awhile and haven't had any problems. But if you want to try to track down the problem you might try changing it to QuEnc to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎