X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BushRider
    • Mar 2010

"... has stopped working"

Hi Everybody,
    my problem started with DVD Flick, but it's obviously not a failure of the program itself. I had been using it for months now and it's THE program for my needs regarding DVDs. When I click to open it, I get the Message "DVD Flick has stopped working". I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, but no success at all.
    Then I uninstalled a few other programs I had installed within the time range
    the problem occurred. No success either.
    I, again, uninstalled DVD Flick, and tried several other free programs like f.e.
    Ashampoo Burning Studio or AVStoDVD (while trying to figure the problem always having them as the only DVD burning program on the computer - uninstalled one before installing the next. DVD Flick and AshampooBurningStudio had worked fine side by side before the problem occurred). When I try to start them, I get the very same message again. And it's no comfort at all to me, that Windows tries to find a solution...
    We really live in the bush (satellite internet) and don't have a computer shop within the next 50 kms.
    If there is anybody out there who could help, p l e a s e reply, and please write to me as you would write to an oooold dummy. I'm not too experienced! Thank you so much.
    Last edited by BushRider; 27 Mar 2010, 02:42 PM.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Have you run a good virus checker? If yes and no viruses, try a system restore to when you know it was working.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• BushRider
      • Mar 2010

"...has stopped working"/ 2

Hello blutach,
      thanks for this quick reply! No, I haven't been successful.
      Have restored March 17 (which was the farthest back possible), but same
      problem. I'm sure I still have burned DVDs on that day, as I had guests, and they brought a little family movie for me to copy and burn. The night before I had burned an .avi-file movie, and it worked just fine.
      New: have installed an audio converter today and found the same
      problem here, too!!!
      They all crash right from the start. What the heck could this be?
      I have Windows Firewall always active, and I use AVG 9.0, which updates and scans on a regular basis (daily).
      My system is Windows Vista Premium, SP 1...
      Is there a way to find out about having a virus on the computer (except the virus checker reports - they might be fake when they are screwed by a virus or trojanh...).
      Thanks again,
      BushRider

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I remember there was an issue with Flick if you uninstalled other apps, an .ocx file could get uninstalled. I posted about it on this forum months ago but even though I found the post, I couldn't remember the name of the .ocx file then. Maybe if you google something like that will pop up. I can't find any specifics though.

Comment

• BushRider
          • Mar 2010

.ocx

Thanks a bunch anyways! At least, it's a further step to go from there.
          If I get any further or can solve the problem, I'll let you know.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I do see some stuff around the web that if you are trying to install DVD Flick portable version, the .ocx files aren't included. I suspect it may have to do with COMCTL32.OCX but I'm not certain.

Comment

• Justanothertinf
              • Sep 2010

Did anyone ever solve his problem?

I have the same problem!! DVDFlick has been nearly flawless for several months, though very occasionally on a project containing many different video files in varying formats it will hang and need to be aborted.

Suddenly, it will not launch-"An error occurred during startup. Number 429 from dvdflick. Active X component cannot create object".

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, rolled back the system as far back as my earliest restore point, completely removed DVDFlick from my system and downloaded a fresh copy-still the same error message.

Running Vista Home Basic, MSCE/Defender/Comodo/Anti-Malware/Spybot/Sophos Anti-rootkit, all kept updated and used faithfully.

No other video software ever runs concurrently except for Imgburn.

Anyone have fresh insight into what may be causing this? I sure hate to have to try to find something to replace it, though I guess actually PAYING for CloneDVD is always an option...

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

First thing I would try is search your entire drive for COMCTL32.OCX.

Comment

• Justanothertinf
                  • Sep 2010

TY for quick response. Slight new problem...entire desktop/Start button/taskbar have ALSO gone away-I can access most functions thru taskmanager but it's a PIA. using taskmanager/file/new task I searched for COMCTL32.OCX-got an error msg that "The module @#**^%^%$@@ [looks like Cyrillic characters] failed to load specified module could not be found.

Googled for COMCTL32.OCX, found and downloaded it, tried both running and saving it then opening-same error message as before both times...I know just enough to know I don't know what the hell I'm trying to do here...

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

I don't understand why the start menu and other problems would happen. I would download
                    Protect your home and business PCs, Macs, iOS and Android devices from the latest cyber threats and malware, including ransomware.

and run a complete scan before anything else.

Comment

• Justanothertinf
                      • Sep 2010

Had already scanned with the aforementioned AV/AM/AS tools incl AntiMalware...

Scans were all clean-desktop still MIA, still getting same error msg whenever I attempt to launch DVDFlick...about ready to wipe the sucker and install Win7. Just found a program called Video Converter Factory-seemed to work fine with the one AVI I converted/burned, and it's MUCH faster than DVD Flick...may be time to switch...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎