Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niknik
    • Mar 2010

FAVC subtitles

I am trying to add an .srt user selected subtitle to a video but I am getting no subtitles. What name must the subtitle be?

Thanks for anyones help in advance.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

In the DVD Options Tab you load the subtitle that goes with each title by clicking on the Notebook Icon in the bottom box where it says "Subtitle Files". That will still work even if Menu is not enabled.

Comment

• niknik
      • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
      In the DVD Options Tab you load the subtitle that goes with each title by clicking on the Notebook Icon in the bottom box where it says "Subtitle Files". That will still work even if Menu is not enabled.
      Thanks for the reply.

In the DVD Option Tab, subtitle files, I did click on the notebook and added the .srt file out of the same folder with the same name as the .avi file. Ran the program and checked it on Real Player and it came out with no subtitles. Checked the subtitle menu and it had two "none" listings. I then ran the same setup with the hard subtitle box checked and the subtitles were there.

What do you think the problem is? Problem with the program?

Thanks.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

It doesn't have to have the same name. The subtitles can be names anything.srt. You just have to have the Title listed first, then load the subtitle for it. To find out what is happnening go to the Advanced Tab and check "Don't start batch file" then run it. Go into WorkingFolder0 and look through the files. You should see if it lists the subtitles to be processed or not. I've never had the issue you have using FAVC for several years.

Comment

• niknik
          • Mar 2010

MilesAhead, thanks again for the reply.

Here's what is happening. My mistake on the subtitles. They are coming up. However there is no onscreen menu to turn them off or on. The menu for the subtitles on the Real Player has two "none" tabs: The top one is for "No" subtitles and the bottom is for "Yes."

Shouldn't there be an onscreen menu to turn the subtitles off an on? And why is the subtitle menu on Real Player showing two "nones?"

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

The menuing on most of these free converters just has the title selection. You do the subtitles using the Subtitle Button on the stand-alone DVD player remote control. I don't use Real Player so I don't know how it works.

If you want more elaborate menus with motion and all that then you probably need to buy a dedicated authoring program. I have no experience with the paid authoring apps.

See this page for lists of tools:

Download free video and audio software. Old versions, user reviews, version history, screenshots.

Comment

• niknik
              • Mar 2010

Thanks MilesAhead. Been watching DVD's on my computer since my DVD player went down, so what you said makes sense. Guess I'll have to buy one soon.

Appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                Eclectician
                • Nov 2006

You're welcome. I would suggest, if you can, to get either an UltraDivx certified DVD player. For instance I have Philips 5990(about $60.. maybe a bit more but not exhorbitant) or if you have HDTV, a set top box. Then you can watch the avi/divx files without converting. I have WD HDTV player for USB. It can play HD avi and divx as well as mkv mp4 m2ts... but it's not the greatest with subtitles. My Philips player is very good with subtitles added with AviAddXSubs, but it can only play SD avi files. You end up converting down to DVD to play them.

They both have their good points. Most of the time I can get away with pulling avi files into AviDemux and just letting it rebuilt index and whatever it wants to do, then saving the file. 5 or 10 minutes of processing before burning rather 90. The Philips will also play .wmv, but again, no larger than PAL DVD res: 720x576. Probably the next editions of these players will handle HD avi and mkv.

Comment

• niknik
                  • Mar 2010

One other thing that I just noticed. FAVC doesn't recognize parentheses (). I had some subtitles enclosed with them and they didn't show up. Do you know how to fix that or some other symbol that can be used in place of them?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

All I know is FAVC uses SubtitleCreator. It converts the .srt to .sup subtitles. The way to find out exactly is to look through the scripts. As an alternative, if you have idx/sub subtitles you can burn them in even though FAVC doesn't support them directly. In the Advanced Tab in the box Following The Resize Operation enter the path of the idx sub without extension. If the subs are named "movie.idx" and "movie.sub" in folder "C:\Folder" then it would be:
                    VobSub("C:\Folder\movie")

That will "burn the subs" into the video. I don't know about special commands and all that business. afaik with vob subs they are just converted to graphics. If you want more sophisticated subs you may have to add them to a DVD later with DVDSubEdit or some authoring tool.

Comment

• niknik
                      • Mar 2010

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                      All I know is FAVC uses SubtitleCreator. It converts the .srt to .sup subtitles. The way to find out exactly is to look through the scripts.
                      I am a novice at that. How exactly do you do that?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

I already gave the procedure. Read the thread again.

Comment

• niknik
                          • Mar 2010

Ok, another question about FAVC. How do you increase the number of subtitle lines from 2 to whatever?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎