• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

DVD and Blu Ray in one pack

I am not sure if this is new, but I just got in Avatar in DVD and Blu Ray in one package.

It was a pre-order for $19.99

It would be be nice to see more movies come in combo packs for such a good price. If your house is like mine, you have the blu-ray player in the living and the other players wherever are DVD.

This is awesome !!!

Any thoughts?

• MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I noticed some talk of combo packs on Blu-Ray.com. But I mostly frequent the Asian movies. One of the things they are waiting to see is how Toho Godzilla flicks with English subs will be released.

Wasn't there some mention of Blu-Ray on one side and standard DVD on the other?

Victor Company of Japan, Ltd. (JVC) is pleased to announce that it has developed the world's first Blu-ray/ DVD combo ROM disc technology, which enables storage of video content in both high definition and standard definition. The new ROM disc, which has a total storage capacity of 33.5GB, uses a triple layer structure made possible by JVC's development of a proprietary, high-performance reflective film.

I notice your link says 2 disc set so I'm assuming for now it's one Blu-Ray disc and one SD disc in the package.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

This is more and more common these days. For example, Disney only releases combo packs, and does so a couple of weeks before the "DVD only" pack comes out. The combo packs are usually at the same price as normal Blu-ray movies, and often cheaper than the 2-disc DVD editions. While the DVD that comes with the Blu-ray combo is usually only the 1-disc edition, the Blu-ray disc has the same set of features as the 2-disc edition, so you're actually saving money buying the combo version.

Also note that when counting stats, as analysed here, these combos count as Blu-ray only, not DVD, despite some of them being the only way a DVD user can buy the movie (for a set time period, like for Disney releases).

For Avatar, on Amazon.com, the Blu-ray combo version is only $4 more than the single DVD version, so you basically can get the movie on Blu-ray for an extra $4, which even makes sense for people who don't have Blu-ray players at the moment, but want one sometime in the future.

Universal is releasing double sided combos as well, so one disc that plays in both Blu-ray and DVD players.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• PurpleDemon
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2006

I notice your link says 2 disc set so I'm assuming for now it's one Blu-Ray disc and one SD disc in the package

Yes

Comment

• Hoa
          • Apr 2010

I would like to watch film in the cinema. That's feeling good . Of course, blu ray is good too.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎