X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

FCC May Let Movie Studios Add DRM To TV, Disable Ouput To Prevent Piracy

After incessant lobbying, Hollywood may have scored a victory in getting the FCC to approve their plans to add DRM to TV. Under the plan, studios will have the power to remotely kill your TV's output in order to prevent copying. Studios say this promotes innovation, as it will allow them to release movies onto TV much faster than before, without having to worry about the movies being pirated.

The FCC previously rejected the plan, but it appears they may have reconsidered.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

I wonder how much money was put into the back pockets of the FCC. I always figured that they would cave in to hollywood.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

This is why analog cable is awesome, I'd *LOVE* to see them try to stop me from recording shows on my DVD recorder or capture card, as it just won't happen.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Now that studios have gotten the FCC to approve DRM for TV, which they said previously was the only way to get movies to be shown on TV earlier (despite many studios already doing this without the need for DRM), now the studios say they probably won't release movies early on TV as it may hurt the cinema business:

Studios now can block new films from being copied on pay-per-view systems, but they fear theaters’ reaction if they sell to cable before DVDs are out.

So basically all that's happened is that DRM got added to TV and there probably won't be any new content as a trade off.

If the studios get their way, nobody would ever be able to record stuff from TV, even for time-shifting purposes.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Unless you have a recorder like mine that doesn't care about copy protection
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

I don't get this fully. I read it here and on your Blog. What really is so pressing to the Studios about not allowing one to record a TV show/movie etc...? I mean are they releasing movies to TV before DVD/Bluray now? I have no clue as I don't have any premium channels. How is recording a show/movie that already came out on DVD/Blu-ray hurting them?

This is nuts. I don't think they would be making more $$$ releasing movies to the TV before DVD/Blu-ray anyway. What HBO or any other premium channel will pay more than millions of copies of DVDs/Blu-rays?

Can you elaborate on this. Thnx.
            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

It's about releasing movies earlier than on disc, and possibly while some are still showing at the cinemas. That's the excuse the MPAA was going with when lobbying the FCC, but it looks like now that they've got DRM for TV, they're not that keen to push on with this plan at all.

In the MPAA's ideal world, everything will have DRM, so with the FCC caving in on their demands, expect to see DRM on things that are already on Blu-ray/DVD as well. If you can't record movies from TV, you'll have to buy them if you want to watch it more than just the one time, and that's what the MPAA was counting on.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Ok so if that's the case I guess it'll PO home viewers that are cutting back on costs because of the economy, and will not be able to record these movies for later viewing, unless the DVR pay per view works differently than straight up recording to a standalone.

As it's already evident this will not deter Piracy, but most likely encourage it even more. I don't blame anyone at this point!
                Last edited by dr_ml422; 8 Jun 2010, 01:54 AM.
                SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...