X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LongJon
    • Jul 2010

Creating a DVD

Hi all,

I've used super on many occasions before and been mostly successful with it. I recently created a .avi video file which I want to burn to DVD. Tried Windows DVD Maker which took hours and failed at 99%. Tried DVD flick which wanted too much free space (I'm running a bit low, ironically one of the reasons I want this large video file off my hard drive).

So I turned to super and found out one of its new features is to take a video and split into the .vob files and the .ifo and all that jazz. So I set it converting and left it for a couple of hours.

It finished, so I went to see what was in the output folder. The video_ts and audio_ts were both present and correct but empty. Super said there was 3GB of output and my hard drive has 3GB less free space so it had done something.

Eventually I tracked it down to a 3GB file in my temp folder (called $tmp$2B982383AE20C195DBD if you're interested). Any ideas why this might have happened? Or should I just try again and hope for the best?

Thanks.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Free up some space on your drive. Converters typically demux the video and audio and do conversions, then mux them back together and author a DVD. Therefore you often need triple the DVD size as free space to start.

If you are that tight on free space everything you do on the machine will suffer. I'd suggest investing in USB external drive or docking stations so you can move a bunch of the data files off the system drive.

USB 3.0 will set you run your drive at full speed. I have a USB 3.0 card with USB 3.0 docking stations with WD Caviar Black internal drives in them. It smooths everything out since you can do large video jobs without reading from the same drive you are writing to. Your PC will seem a lot faster.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 2 Jul 2010, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• LongJon
      • Jul 2010

Alas, having just finished uni I'm short on money as well But an external hard drive is definitely on the cards for when I have some income. Cheers for the help

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

If you are really on a budget keep your eyes open for USB 2.0 external clearance sales. With USB 3.0 out now, many of the online discount sites should be trying to unload USB 2.0 stuff.

In fact I think I noticed some on NewEgg. That would be one good place to keep an eye out for deals. Also buy.com and pricegrabber sometimes you can pick up a bargain.

Comment

• LongJon
          • Jul 2010

Thanks, I'll keep checking for bargains

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍