X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

US Colleges must now prevent student piracy or face losing aid

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, passed way back in August of 2008, has come into effect and US colleges must now plan for combating online piracy attributed to their student body, or face losing federal student aid funding.

Once again, the US government has used its position of power to aid music labels and movie studios in their crusade against online piracy. This time, it's educational institutions that have to suffer in order to help the RIAA and MPAA's goal of retaining and increasing profits for its members.

The RIAA welcomed the decision and hailed it as an "important signal" sent by Congress to force educational institutions to "get off the sidelines and help deal with the problem".

Critics will ask why colleges must help protect the profit of RIAA and MPAA members, both of whom represent big business, and why the government felt the need to help *private* businesses by threatening *public* educational funding.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dirio49
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2005

communism here i come.
    wow, what a law.
    we might as well have monkeys running the country.
    wait
    by the looks of it we have.
    people getting fire because they bad mouthed somebody.

There goes the freedom of speech, we are almost back to wwII times.
    Birthdays are good. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest .

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

I wonder if they'll close Harvard, Yale, Columbia University or NYU where the really smart boys are running circles with the web.

I agree 100% w/u dirio. I'm fortunate NYPD doesn't let anything get crazy here anymore, or I'd be looking for a new country code. I'm USA all the way no matter what. I mean it beats downtown Baghdad.

Funny, for years they said the country's going to the dogs. It has. PITA's Headquarters is worth millions!
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Jena
        • Mar 2023

As more and more students turn to digital media to access their textbooks, movies, and music, there's been a growing concern about piracy on college campuses. To combat this issue, the US government has recently mandated that colleges take action against piracy or risk losing federal financial aid. While this may be seen as a burden on colleges, it's important to remember that piracy not only hurts the creators and distributors of media, but it can also have legal consequences for students. By preventing piracy, colleges can help protect their students from facing legal repercussions and ensure that they are promoting ethical and responsible behavior. Ultimately, this new requirement sends a clear message that piracy is not acceptable and must be actively prevented to maintain a safe and ethical learning environment.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎