X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 Blu-ray 3D Firmware Update Coming In September

Sony has said that the firmware update for the PS3 to support Blu-ray 3D playback will be coming in September.

Not only that, more firmware update in the future will allow the viewing of 3D photos, taken with Sony's upcoming 3D Cybershot digital cameras.

The Blu-ray 3D capability, once added via firmware, will enable to the PS3 to connect to the 2010 range of 3D TVs, and to play any Blu-ray movie with the "Blu-ray 3D" logo. Currently, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs represents the only major studio title available in Blu-ray 3D for general sale.

The PS3 is already capable of playing 3D games thanks to a firmware update in April, and several 3D enabled games, such as Wipeout HD and Pain, are already available. The upcoming Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse and Gran Turismo 5 will also feature 3D modes.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

What... 3D CyberShots?

I have a standard CyberShot, great camera... how would a 3D one work? Would the taken photos be viewable in 2D on a standard computer monitor?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

The 3D camera will have two lenses, so to be able to take a picture from the two different angles required to produce 3D. Fujifilm already has one out that does the same. Here's the news story about the 3D Cybershots:

テクノロジーの進化によって様々な業界の境界(クロス)領域で新たなビジネスが続々と誕生する今、どこの誰と、どう組めば新たなチャンスを掴むことができるのか。日経クロステック(xTECH)は、 ITから電機、自動車、建設、土木まで、今をえぐり、一歩先を照らす情報をお届けします。

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

There's a bit of confusion over the requirement of HDMI 1.4 hardware for Blu-ray 3D players. The HDMI hardware on the oldest PS3 actually predates HDMI 1.3, so the question would be whether the PS3 can handle "Full HD" 3D, or just 1080i 3D (for each eye) as others have claimed in the past.

Sony seems to think they've found a way to make it all work, and even went on to state that "The [June] upgrade basically makes every PlayStation 3 HDMI 1.4 compatible--that's the standard that governs 3D displays."

If this is true, the it will be interesting how Sony managed to get over the higher bandwidth requirement of Blu-ray 3D, whether their old HDMI hardware was future proof enough for such an eventuality, and if so, why can't other Blu-ray players be updated to support 3D (processing power issues aside)?

On the cable side, there is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable (the version numbering only refers to hardware, not cables), and any HDMI cable rated for "high speed" or "category 2" will work with Blu-ray 3D.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Apparently, YouTube will be adding 3D support for their videos, and the PS3 will support that as well when it arrives.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

The release date of the firmware update has been pushed back to October:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

I wonder if it has anything to do with an attempt to close the usb hack.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

September 21st is the day when firmware 3.50 is released, which will include the 3D Blu-ray update:

Sony has confirmed that the PS3 Blu-ray 3D update is on track for release on September 21, as part of the upcoming v3.50 firmware upgrade.…

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

I haven't gamed on my Slim yet, so if it's ready for 3D Gaming as you posted above is a 3D TV needed as well for gaming, or gaming 3D is different than watching a Blu-ray 3D flic?
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

You need the same type of 3D TV for 3D gaming and 3D Blu-ray.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
                      You need the same type of 3D TV for 3D gaming and 3D Blu-ray.
                      Okie. I thought so. wouldn't really make sense if Games could be played in 3D w/out a 3D TV and flics did.

Otn, Brian Wood a well known Game designer died trying to help his wife in a car crash. God bless him and his family.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

The 3.50 firmware should be available soon, if not already, by the time you read this. It adds 3D Blu-ray support, but also adds a few things for the PS Move, such as being able to use the controller as the web browser cursor, more integration with Facebook, and a new "grief reporting" function for those needing to complain about bad behavior on the PSN.

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Early testing show that 3D on the PS3 is Full HD 3D (1080p), but there are a few issues.

First up is that if you bring up the PS3's overlay menus (for changing display options, for example), then 3D mode is turned off. Other 3D Blu-ray players don't have problems displaying overlays in 3D mode.

The other big one is that Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-Master bitstream output is disabled in 3D mode. It's most likely the older style non 1.4 HDMI connectors that's the cause of the problem. The PS3 Slim only contains HDMI 1.3, and it is suspected that Sony uses software emulation to get it to handle 3D formats, but to also handle HD audio bitstreaming at the same time probably is beyond the capability of the console.

More:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.
                          Last edited by admin; 22 Sep 2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

3.50 also disables third-party controllers, or unlicensed/pirated ones, apparently.

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

And Sony now has 3D cameras, digital cameras that can take photos in 3D. The PS3 will soon have a free app that allows 3D pictures to be displayed on suitable 3D TVs, by the end of the month.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

Well at least it's out and working to some degeree. I won't be updating my firmware any time so0n as I don't have a 3D HDTV or any Blu-ray flics. I also have to begin my Gaming adventures by buying some Games. Lil by lil as bills are way more of a priority, especially those CCs!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎