X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

French plan to use spyware to stop piracy

The French agency responsible for overseeing their 'three-strikes' anti-piracy law, Hadopi, has come out with a proposal to install spyware programs on people's PCs, or in their routers, to monitor people's Internet usage and make sure they're not going to "disallowed" places.

The software would keep a black list of websites that can't be visited by users, a black list of keywords that can't be searched for online, as well as a grey-list of websites that will force users to answer a prompt before allowing them to proceed (something alone the lines of "This website is known to hosted pirated content. Do you still want to continue?"). Another feature of the software would be to scan people's computers for "bad" software and report back to the government, including the date and time when these software are launched.

The plan goes as far as having this "tool" installed onto hardware routers to be sold in France. Hadopi says that users can disable this "service", but a log of when it is disabled will also be sent to the government.

Since the introduction of the three-strikes law, piracy rates have not only not gone down, but gone up, as people used alternative sources for pirated content not monitored, or not able to be monitored, by Hadopi. So it seems Hadopi's new plan is to address this loophole by getting closer to the source of the piracy, people's PCs, and start the monitoring there.

French Internet rights group Quadrature du Net has attacked the proposal, calling it "obscene".

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Obscene indeed.

Remind me never to buy a router from France.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• dirio49
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Apr 2005

What has the world come to?

Communism here I come.
      Birthdays are good. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest .

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Communism would never allow multi-national corporations like film studios to have a say in government affairs - they'd only do this for the benefit of the state/ruling party. This is a corporation backed fascist police state!

I think it's ironic that nobody dared to go this far in terms of surveillance even after 9/11, and yet we have a couple of music labels and movies studios crying foul and suddenly, every government is listening. It almost seems as if governments think that stopping movie and music piracy is more important than stopping terrorism ...
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

They think piracy IS terrorism... LOL
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment