X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

PS3 hacked to play pirated games?

Sony's PS3 has been so far immune to being hacked to allow copied games to work, but a new device promises to do just this, without the need to solder, install, flash anything.

The new device, simply an USB drive that's now for sale for $170, promises to "jailbreak" the PS3 and allow games to be dumped to a FAT32 HDD, and then played back later. 150 PS3 games have already been tested to work with the system.

However, Sony is apparently already aware of the problem and upcoming firmware updates are expected to block the device. Sony recently introduced smaller, automatic updates, which may or may not be related to efforts to combat the PS Jailbreak device.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Oh yeah, "problem"... yeah right

I'd get one of these if it wasn't so expensive... and if it's just a USB flash drive, maybe it's possible to format a normal flash drive as one of those?
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Another view of the hack in action, again by the Australian modchip retailer OzModChips:

Last edited by admin; 22 Aug 2010, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Ttytt, sometimes all this effort for the proposed results is more of a chore than anything else. I guess it's true that the rush in getting these hacks to work is what it's all about. I can identify to a degree on that.

So one gets that $170.00 USB drive and Sony comes out w/a fix. What do you do call/email Joe Black and request a refund! Or buy the next hack for less since you already dumped $170.00, and Joe Black kindly offers a discount? I don't think so!

I have some Jeans that are worth more than $170.00. I'm looking at a 10 year plan w/them at the least. Even if I gain/lose weight they'll still be fine.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Another way is to just not update from 3.41, and keep the machine offline. If the PS3 was cheap enough, than those that really don't want to pay for games (and don't need to play online) can keep a second PS3 specifically for playing copied games, while their primary one plays legal ones (and goes online). Some people do that already with the Xbox 360.

The latest theory is that this USB device actually unlocks a developer mode for the console, which is why it's allowing games to be dumped and played from the HDD. If this is the case, then Sony needs to find a way to stop this, but still allow developers to keep this functionality for testing purposes.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Always a way

Originally Posted by admin
            Another way is to just not update from 3.41, and keep the machine offline. If the PS3 was cheap enough, than those that really don't want to pay for games (and don't need to play online) can keep a second PS3 specifically for playing copied games, while their primary one plays legal ones (and goes online). Some people do that already with the Xbox 360.

The latest theory is that this USB device actually unlocks a developer mode for the console, which is why it's allowing games to be dumped and played from the HDD. If this is the case, then Sony needs to find a way to stop this, but still allow developers to keep this functionality for testing purposes.
            Something how there's always a way to get through especially software/computer related. I never would of thought about getting a second PS3. The money of course is a factor, though the darn thing still does more than any other media hub, so that also makes me want to keep it and not need another.

I still am not the owner of any Games, though here soon will be. Prices have come down a bit I see. They are relatively expensive. Should they be that much, or are the developers/anyone involved really padding the prices more than they have to? My nephew, cousin and his friends like the Xbox 360 because of the less complicated usage of the controllers. They admit though the graphics on the PS3 are the bomb. I had fun the other day w/a MMA Game. Got my brains beat in though it is fun.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Sony has taken three retailers selling the jailbreak kit in Australia to federal court, and a temporary injunction has been granted. One store has already removed the kit from sale.

Modsupplier.com has also removed the jailbreak kit from sale, and ozmodchips.com has declared the item out of stock, along with retailer Quantronics.

More:

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

What I'm curious about... if that thing is just a USB stick, theoretically you could copy the partition using something like Parted Magic and then paste it to another generic flash drive? And it should act the same way?

Would be interesting if that works, we could start pirating piracy tools
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

I think someone has already claimed they managed to clone the USB, but I suspect there may also be a bit of hardware that's responsible for the hack as well, if the rumours about the USB stick being a developer tool/dongle.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Hm, well if it is possible to clone it... I hate that sort of elitist attitude.

I wish someone like Team Twiizers would step forward, kinda like how the Homebrew Channel for Wii is completely free and they even help people install it, if only they'd do that with the PS3 mod - download this file and do this etc.

I really wasn't going to spend that much money on a USB dongle, plus I only own like 3 PS3 games anyway so it wouldn't be of that much use.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
                      • Jan 2006

No way are you going to see a free PS3 mod like this.... an ISO Loader for the PS3 has been eagerly awaited for some time now and there will be money to be made before you start seeing the free versions. If/when it happens, there are companies waiting for back the endvour... it;s big money for a short while.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

With my luck Sony will come out w/a PS4 and I'd have this new Slim still a virgin to any Games. It's all business though. I definitely have to admit I don't have another 3 n 1/2 C-notes for another.

Comment

• admin
                          Administrator
                          • Nov 2001

Interesting development. The code for the PS Jailbreak device has been extracted and made open source, with some modifications to actually prevent pirated games from being played. This has been done to allow the PS3 to run unsigned code, in other words, homebrew!

Comment

• Budreaux
                            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            What I'm curious about... if that thing is just a USB stick, theoretically you could copy the partition using something like Parted Magic and then paste it to another generic flash drive? And it should act the same way?

Would be interesting if that works, we could start pirating piracy tools
                            It is not a USB memory stick, it is a usb powered device that is programmable. Meaning you program it with your computer with a certain program. You would also have to build the board..... the PS3 Groove is an opensource version of the PS3 Jailbreak but it has the features locked out for piracy. Since it is an opensource project and no sales are being made, Sony can't really shut it down at this point. But, if you know where to look, the Jailbreak is the Groove with the features unlocked......so......

Comment

• admin
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2001

It looks like it's just a USB with some software on it, since the software has now been extracted and made open source. Someone clever should now be able to make their own USB jailbreak device, although the open source version has been made to not support pirated games.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎