Apple to patent way to remotely disable jailbroken iPhones?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Apple to patent way to remotely disable jailbroken iPhones?

Apple is applying for a patent which allows it to remotely erase the data on an iPhone and to get the connection for the phone shut down.

While Apple says that this is an anti-theft function that helps users to protect their sensitive data if a phone is stolen, the patent also describes it's purpose in shutting down unauthorized usage of the iPhone, including jailbreaking.

The recent changes to the US DCMA made jailbreaking effectively legal, but Apple have already taken steps to clamp down on the practice. For example, jailbroken iPhones will automatically void the warranty.

Jailbroken iPhones can be used to download pirated apps, but more importantly, it offers free alternative apps and functionalities that Apple prefer to charge for, and this hurts Apple's bottom line. But the question consumer groups will ask is whether a company should be allowed to prevent users from using competing products and service in this way.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I'm happy with my rooted Droid. iPhone users get what they deserve from buying Apple, IMO...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      I'm happy with my rooted Droid. iPhone users get what they deserve from buying Apple, IMO...
      HOLY HELL..we finally agree on something..I have a rooted Droid as well.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Another thing that the Android market has over iPhone... there are tons of apps in there "For root users only", such as the Wi-Fi tethering which I use quite a bit... if someone made an app for iPhone that required it to be jailbroken, you bet Apple would remove that faster than you can blink your eyes!
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Steve Jobs is a creature of habit 100%! Guy just hasn't changed that much as depicted in Pirates Of Silicon Valley. Really a piece of work. I just silently laughed at my cousin the other day when he mentioned having to take his iMAC Laptop in just to do something w/all his music/iTunes. I told him get a spare Windows LT, or even PC. Each OS has it's followers.
          SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

Maybe people wouldn't jailbreak if they allowed tethering! My ipad and iphone won't even recognise each other. And Mr Jobs just says "No".

This latest news is just another bash at consumer rights.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Budreaux
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
              Maybe people wouldn't jailbreak if they allowed tethering! My ipad and iphone won't even recognise each other. And Mr Jobs just says "No".

This latest news is just another bash at consumer rights.

Regards
              Exactly my point....Apple was the original opensource players...look at them now.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Apple just wants a nice, tightly controlled environment where they have the final say on everything. They say it's to ensure a consistent product, and yes, a tightly regulated eco-system does that, but really, it's all about the money.

So the battle continues between consumers wanting to use the things they've purchased in their own way and manufacturers/publishers wanting to control how their products can be used. Whether it's DVDs and copy protection, or iPhones and jailbreaking. It's all now a much bigger issue than before because devices are not so versatile these days, that you can basically use them for anything. Same with movies going digital, making it a lot easier to manipulate on the computer.

If Apple wants to void the warranty of jailbroken phones, then okay, that's maybe acceptable, although I don't know how statutory warranties come into this. But to "seek and destroy" jailbroken phones is a bit over the top.
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Money. Never forget money the bottom line. Never had Apple of anything, though just found out that if you call anyone from your iPhone to another iPhone, they can track you down on the spot. Now you posted that the ipad and iphone won't recognise each other. Makes no sense really.

Otn, since I haven't bothered w/a cell phone over a year now, I really not into the whole jist of what's happening concerning apps. etc... I only asked and was told by a friend last night that he pays almost $200.00 a month for his i3 cell service. I asked if the apps. were a side charge and he said yes and no, that basically you're paying for their use through the monthly charge. So the only thing I can see happening is a higher monthly service charge by the cell provider if they get in sync w/what manufacturers like Apple are trying to deny. This all is even more nuts as the carrier you choose w/the hacked iphone or Android actively hooks you up w/their service knowing your cell is hacked etc... At least that's what it looks like. If I'm wrong correct me as I stated I use no cell for a year now. I only knew from before that certain carriers were in charge of specific cell phones for use w/them, like AT&T was/has been w/Apple's iphone.
                  Last edited by dr_ml422; 29 Aug 2010, 11:02 PM.
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Aren't there are iPhone apps that let you do tethering?

I always used to use a program called EasyTether on my Droid, it was only $10 and let you connect it via USB and use it as a modem on your computer. Now, Android 2.2 has it built in for free! The more I hear about Apple, the more I want them to go out of business and stop selling people crappy products...
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...