More expensive movie tickets, record profits: Is piracy really killing film?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

More expensive movie tickets, record profits: Is piracy really killing film?

Movie ticket prices in the US has risen on average another 40 cents in 2010, that's 5% up compared to the previous year. The increased pricing now means the industry is now set to break 2009's all time record profit of $10.6 billion. However, the flat growth in ticket sales suggest movie pricing increases may have reached breaking point.

Further stats point to people abandoning the more expensive 3D presentations for the 2D version, for certain movies.

With economic uncertainty, and audience resistance setting in, further price increases are seen as unlikely as it would be extremely harmful.

But the main point is that record profits will be recorded for 2010 yet again, and so even with the high movie ticket pricing, people are still flocking the cinemas to enjoy the full cinematic experience, even when free pirated copies are widely available on the Internet. Perhaps this points the way to a solution to the piracy problem, in that if something is worth paying for, people will still pay - but only up to a certain point, it seems.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I absolutely agree. I still hit the movie theatre as there's no substitution for the viewing experience. Even when watching a movie in a friend's basement which he converted to a movie theatre with actual movie chairs, screen and a small concesssion stand and popcorn machine, it still didn't cut it. Ticket prices in the Apple are about $13.00 for a 2D and more for 3D. I shell it out as I need recreation time. The munchies and soda is another story. They'll never lose money. If in fact this is a moral crusade it's a shame. Has to be though as there isn't any real proof yet of any significant revenue loss due to piracy. Not anywhere even in the process up to making the movie itself.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...