New Strategy in Piracy Wars: Sue the Advertisers!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

New Strategy in Piracy Wars: Sue the Advertisers!

A new strategy is emerging in the fight against online piracy - sue the advertisers!

Piracy websites are profitable thanks to advertising, and by cutting their funding source, content owners may take away one reason for people to start or to keep running piracy websites. Disney and Warner Bros. have filled a joint lawsuit against online advertising agency Triton Media, for "contributory and inducement of copyright infringement" for providing advertising revenue to websites allegedly engaged in copyright infringement.

However, whether this is a "new" strategy is clouded by the fact that Triton Media apparently also ran the now defunct donogo website, which was one of the websites recently targeted by the FBI-run Operation In Our Sites.

So perhaps the lawsuit is more about Triton Media's connections to donogo, rather than a straight out attack against advertising providers, but by denying the main source of revenue for piracy websites, this may prove a successful strategy in the long run.

More:

A company that worked with sites that linked to copies of Hollywood blockbusters has become the target of a new lawsuit. The legal action filed by Disney and Warner Bros. says that Triton Media was guilty of both contributory and inducement of copyright infringement when it assisted several sites with advertising and referrals.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Might and then maybe might not. I don't know about how online advertising agency Triton Media's dealings, though I might have some doubt that all their eggs are in one basket. In this case Piracy sites. If so then prolly yes they'll take a hit. If not then just on those sites alleged to be participating in Piracy.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Warner has won their case against Triton, with the judge ordering Triton Media (of Scottsdale, Arizona) to pay damages of $400,000.

This decision could help content owners sue bigger advertising companies like Google for providing ads to websites allegedly hosting pirated content. However, Triton Media differs from your average advertising company as it ran at least one of site which was offering infringing streaming content, and also was more pro-active in matching advertisers to publishers.

More:

Comment

• PlaceVilleMarie
        Banned
        • Oct 2010

So cool

Your business area should be accomodious and comfortable. Grab a hand to a

flexible and easy to utilize office space solutions.

Comment

• PlaceVilleMarie
          Banned
          • Oct 2010

wtf

Why can't I post any of my links here? This site pissed me off! ****!

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Because we don't like spam here?

Comment

Working...