Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing AVI file crashes software, WMP v11 plays it fine using ffdshow Video Decoder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeL59
    • Aug 2010

Playing AVI file crashes software, WMP v11 plays it fine using ffdshow Video Decoder

Well, as the title says, trying to play AVI file crashes MPEG Video Wizard DVD v. 5.0.0.109, while Windows Media Player v11 plays it fine using ffdshow Video Decoder.

The AVI files that I am trying to edit were made using my Canon Powershot S5is digital camera.

I have no problem loading the AVI files in the FILE window but when I try to play them, it starts playing it by going into a loop of playing maybe 1/2 of a second over an over again, if I let it do it for longer than a few seconds, it gives error message, see the attached images.

Does someone have an idea how to approach this problem since Windows Media Player v.11 has no problem playing this file using ffdshow Video Decoder? I uninstalled/reinstalled ffdshow a few times, I also uninstalled/reinstalled the Womble software, made no difference.

My computer specs and Codecs info can be found in the number 4 attachment.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GeorgeL59; 31 Aug 2010, 12:54 AM. Reason: to correct spelling error
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Womble MVWD needs a VFW codec to decompress the MJPEG-avi(of Canon S IS). since you already have FFDSHOW, configure it (under VFW configuration and NOT Video Decoder configuration) so that MJPEG decoding is enabled(libavcodec). WMP is playing it flawlessly because it is using the Directshow codec(which you have enabled under Video Decoder configuration).
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• GeorgeL59
      • Aug 2010

Well, I looked for MJPEG and libavcodec in all ffdshow configuration utilities that is available for me but the only utility that had them listed was the "ffdshow video decoder" as you can see in the attached screenshot ffdshow1.jpg and it seems to be enabled.

If I click on "Manage ACM and VFW codecs" I get the screen that you can see on the second screenshot ffdshow2.jpg. I could not find any other utility that would allow me to do what you suggested. (ffdshow3.jpg).

Would you please, point me to the exact icon where I can do the change?
      Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Start/All Programs/ffdshow/VFW configuration.

You can also try out Morgan MJPEG.
        sigpic

Comment

• GeorgeL59
          • Aug 2010

Morgan MJPEG fixed the problem!

It's working now!!!

I uninstalled KLite, and FFDShow, then I installed FFDshow again to get the icon for VFW configuration, ran it but it didn't make any difference.

Then I downloaded and installed Morgan MJPEG v3.99 and that fixed the problem, now I can edit AVI(MJPEG) files from my Powershot S5is finally.

Paglamon, thanks a bunch for the great help!

George

Comment

• paglamon
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

Glad everything worked out fine for you. Yes,the ffdshow MJPEG codec is certainly not the best of them. I personally use the Picvideo one. But Morgan's is also supposed to be good.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎