Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trotskyicepick
    • Sep 2010

Combining AVI and SRT files to stream to XBox360

Hi, not sure this is the right place to post, but here goes anyway.

I have a number of .avi files with attendant .srt subtitle files on my laptop. I would like to stream them to my XBox360 for viewing on TV.

I have seen the article re: using AVIAddXSubs to do the process for PS3, this created a divx file (but the subtitles weren't added in the divx, checked this using DivX Player). I can stream to my XBox using Vuze (which transcodes the divx to mp4 format, but as stated no subtitles).

Is there a simple way to do what I need?

Thanks In Advance.
    Last edited by trotskyicepick; 1 Sep 2010, 10:16 AM.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

AviAddXSubs should work. I've been using it for years. Check in the settings. If it doesn't seem to do anything to the output .divx file it's probably because in the first Configuration Tab the radio button is on idx/subs instead of XSubs.

Comment

• trotskyicepick
      • Sep 2010

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
      first Configuration Tab the radio button is on idx/subs instead of XSubs.
      Thanks for responding. No, it is set to XSUB. DivX Converter shows the final DivX file as not having any subtitles.

If somehow I can get AVIAddSubs to work, will TVersity allow streaming of DivX to an XBox360 with the subtitles?

Thanks

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

What does MediaInfo show? It should show "divx subtitle"

Comment

• trotskyicepick
          • Sep 2010

MediaInfo shows 1 text stream of DivX Subtitle.
          Last edited by trotskyicepick; 1 Sep 2010, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• trotskyicepick
            • Sep 2010

Not sure why, but now when the created .divx file is played in DivX Player on my laptop the subtitles do show up.

However, when added to TVersity which then transcodes the DivX for the XBox360, the subtitles disappear.

I've tried selecting subtitles from the XBox menu but it just says "action not available".

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Most programs don't know how to handle xsubs in .divx. VLC media player just recently became able to display them. Sometimes the only solution if the player won't play an external sub file, is to burn them in. You can use VirtualDub, AviDemux, Quick AVI Creator or some other program to reencode with xvid and use TextSub() function in VobSub filter to burn the subs in. I like to use AviDemux 2.4 because it gives good results in one pass. Version 2.5 they crippled the motion detection in one pass mode so it's no longer worth using.

You may want to search for a guide how to burn in subs with .avi etc..

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

The way I get subtitles to display on the Xbox 360 (without hard encoding it into the file) is to use TVersity. All you need to do is to place the video file and the subtitle file in the same folder, with the same filename (for example: video.avi and video.srt), and set that file to "always transcode". Sometimes I will have to restart TVersity to have this setting take hold, but it will display the subtitles on the 360 (unfortunately, you can't turn it off - what TVersity is actually doing is to, in real time, transcoding the AVI file with the subtitles hard-encoded).

This assumes that you have the software needed on your host PC (the one that's doing the transcoding) to allow subtitles to display. DirectVobSub is what I normally use, or you can just enable subtitles in ffdshow.

I was always under the impression that the Xbox 360 didn't support XSUBs (the AVIAddXSubs method), and I've never gotten an AVI file with XSUBs to work on the Xbox 360, with or without transcoding.
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• trotskyicepick
                  • Sep 2010

Thanks one and all. I didn't realise I could get this working using just TVersity. I've spent hours fiddleing around with AVIAddXSubs, VirtualDub and other bits of codec etc, etc.

Following Admins advice, I can now watch my favourite Japanese DVD's streamed directly from my laptop

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎