X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trotskyicepick
    • Sep 2010

Problems loading .srt files

Sorry for posting yet again.

I have been ripping a large number of DVD's for streaming to my XBox360 via TVersity.

About 70% of the time all goes well and .avi + .srt files are created and I have no problem viewing them on the XBox.

However, 30% of the time there is a problem loading the subtitles. When the .srt is present, the .avi wont load, if the .srt is removed then the .avi loads fine but obviously plays without subtitles.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.
    Andrew
    Last edited by trotskyicepick; 14 Sep 2010, 04:59 AM.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

One thing you could try, load a few of the .srt files that will play in Notepad and do Save As to see what the encoding is(UTF8 or whatnot) to see if they have that in common. Then try a few that won't play and see if they are all another type. I have no clue about TVersity so this is just a wild guess. But sometimes unicode/ansi/utf8 makes subtitles not work in particular programs. Sometimes you can fix it by just doing Save As in Notepad to save it to a different character encoding.

Comment

• trotskyicepick
      • Sep 2010

Thanks for the suggestion Miles, unfortunately both .srt's that do and those that don't work appear to be ANSI encoded. They don't even look different.

I have tried opening them in SubTitle Workshop and that works OK, if I then make a minor edit and save them, still have same problem.

Thanks Again
      (a very confused) Andrew

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

What I know about subtitles is just trying to get them to work after video conversion and that type of thing. There are some subtitle knowledgeable people on this forum:

Everything about subtitling, adding, removing, ripping, converting subtitles.

Most of the tough questions I had were answered there.

Comment

• trotskyicepick
          • Sep 2010

Thanks, I'll give them a go.

Comment

• trotskyicepick
            • Sep 2010

Hi Miles, it wasn't quite what I was expecting but I followed the instructions here http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...aldub-SRTtoSSA

and now everything works fine.

Thanks

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Glad you got it going.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢