X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

British ISPs to pay for anti-piracy actions

British ISPs will be responsible for 25% of the cost of implementing the recently passed online anti-piracy measure in the UK. The measures include the sending of warning letters to users suspected of downloading pirated content. The rest of the cost, the 75%, will be picked up by rightsholders.

ISPs are already against the measure, which they say will be ineffective. "It doesn't matter how many sites are blocked, how many families are snooped on or how many customers are disconnected, music fans who want to can and will get the content they want online for free," said UK ISP TalkTalk's director of strategy and regulation, Andrew Heaney.

ISPs also argue that the rightsholders are the sole beneficiaries of any anti-piracy action, and so they should foot the entire bill. Rightsholders argue that ISPs profit from pirates signing up to fast and large bandwidth accounts, and even requested ISPs to pay for investigative costs, something the government rejected.

Another change introduced is the appeal of any allegations of piracy, which will now be free of charge, although the government reserves the right to charge a small appeals fee in the future if it deems too many people are taking advantage of the appeals process.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

The 25% that the ISP's are responsible for will be passed on to the customer.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Definitely. It's a piracy tax that all will have to pay, triple slugging those that pay for legal content since they then pay for the bandwidth to download the content as well.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

This will also make people that don't download illegal movies and other stuff to think I have to pay for it might as well. So in essence it will increase piracy instead of lowering it.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Whenever some kind of piracy tax has been introduced, that has been exactly the reaction from people, that they've already paid for it, might as well go for it.

However, because there's the threat of lawsuits and disconnections this time, the government hopes this won't happen.

The bottom line is that we end up paying to have multi-national corporation spy on *us* to protect *their* profit margins, and that just seems a bit wrong to me.

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

It is totally wrong for me as a consumer to pay to stop piracy. Just to make sure the corporation has their profits protected. I am guessing that piracy will increase and will surprise the government. I have ways around that also, but will be left to everyone's imagination. Any questions asked will not be answered.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎