• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

PowerDVD10 ultra3D

A friend showed me 2D to 3D DVD conversion on his Mac laptop Pro something with PowerDVD10 ultra3D and I was floored. He had ripped 50 DVDs to a WD 500GB HD and was playing them direct (that's a space saver) and was able to pop out to adjust color, brightness and left eye/right eye 3D stuff and pop back to the movie. I installed a trial version.
    My PC isn't as strong as his $2,800 Mac, and although I don't have the 3GHz necessary for true 3D my 2.8GHz pentium gives me a good feeling of depth so I think I'll buy the product. My problem is the trial version doesn't want to play anything not in the tray. I tried changing associations for mkv and vob files to PowerDVD10, but it won't recognize or play them. I also don't have the Brightness/Color or 3D adjustments he had. I'm wondering if the trial version leaves those features out or if it's his Mac software which allows him to make those adjustments (he also has a blue ray player which came with its software.) Anyway, I should be able to import a VOB to it. What am I doing wrong?
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The latest patched version of PowerDVD Ultra 3D does support turning video files (including (MKV/VOB, even HD MKV files - I have just tested it) into 3D, but the initial retail release only supported 2D to 3D for DVD sources - maybe the trial version is based on an older build.

DVDs on HDDs, as long as they're in DVD folder (Video_TS, along with all relevant structure files, not just VOB files), will be treated the same way as a DVD disc (so will have 2D to 3D in the original retail version).

You should still be able to play the files though in the trial version, even if it is only in 2D. I would investigate if some other filter is getting in the way of PowerDVD's built-in decoders (for example, ffdshow is being used instead).

Note that for the Standard version of PowerDVD, H.264 playback is only available via Windows 7, as only the Deluxe and Ultra 3D versions come with its own H.264 decoders. I suspect the trial version has quite a few features missing deliberately, I'm surprised it even has 3D, since even the Standard version doesn't have it.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Admin !
      I just installed the paid version and all of the adjustments appeared in the tool bar. I'm running XP-SP3 and it's not quite full 3D- but it's close. Still can't get a VOB to play direct, but I can get the IFO in the Video_TS to start things up. Now I'm off to ripping DVDs to the HDD and searching out a good
      3D-capable laptop with a 19" screen to replace the TV. Regardless, it will be great to take on the road. Many thanks again!

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Glad it worked out!

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

I just ripped "Tame Your Dragon" to the HDD and it looks as good as the DVD- real 3D effects. I then converted a MKV and an MPEG 1 using DVDVideoSoft Free Studio (freeware) to DVD and they play great, too. The MKV, while not 3D, gave the feeling of depth, and the MPEG 1 was clear/crisp and clean- and I swear it looked better than the original. We've always said you can't make video look better than the source, but this software may prove us wrong. Toshiba is coming out with a glasses free 3D 12" screen TV in December for $1,400- but for $89 for software and $69 for a 500GB HDD I've got a 15" screen that delivers that today! WooHoo!

Comment

• jaydeee
            • Sep 2010

I have to try it myself.
            thanks for sharing it.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Let us know what you think. I don't quite get the full 3D effect (things aren't flying around the room) but it looks much better than a regular viewer. I think my next computer is going to have to be specifically set up for 3D with a 3GHz processor and a true 3D/HD screen with a blueray player- but I don't have the money- yet. I've been using DVD Decrypter for ripping but I've run into a few of the newer DVDs it won't work on. I went to their website to see if they had an updated version but the site has either moved on or shutdown. Any advice on rippers that work on the new formats?
              Last edited by rsquirell; 6 Nov 2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by rsquirell
                Let us know what you think. I don't quite get the full 3D effect (things aren't flying around the room) but it looks much better than a regular viewer. I think my next computer is going to have to be specifically set up for 3D with a 3GHz processor and a true 3D/HD screen with a blueray player- but I don't have the money- yet. I've been using DVD Decrypter for ripping but I've run into a few of the newer DVDs it won't work on. I went to their website to see if they had an updated version but the site has either moved on or shutdown. Any advice on rippers that work on the new formats?
                Sorry, can't talk about DVD ripping on here any more unfortunately.

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

oops. sorry about that. i guess setarip had to change his nick. thank you mpaa.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎