Well, how long will be taken to burn dvd?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juce coco
    • Dec 2010

Well, how long will be taken to burn dvd?

I use windows dvd maker burn dvd, but it takes a long time to do that! Almost 3 hours to burn a 750mb avi file to a 4.7gb dvd disc...that's a really long time. How long will you guys burn such a dvd? Or how can I get the faster speed? thanks! Merry Christmas!
  • Juce coco
    • Dec 2010

well, there's no person want to help me?

Comment

• rcubed
      • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Juce coco
      I use windows dvd maker burn dvd, but it takes a long time to do that! Almost 3 hours to burn a 750mb avi file to a 4.7gb dvd disc...that's a really long time. How long will you guys burn such a dvd? Or how can I get the faster speed? thanks! Merry Christmas!
      Juce coco,
      Merry Christmas to you too.

I'm not familiar with Windows DVD Maker. I use other authoring and encoding programs. Just the burning part should not take that long. If you are encoding something that might take a long time. If Windows DVD Maker can output an .iso file I would recommend ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn CDs or DVDs. It does not build DVDs it just burns files.

Your DVD controller may have gone to PIO mode, but that still shouldn't cause it to take 3 hrs to burn. Time taken is a function of the burn speed and how much data is written. Also the media being used will effect the quality of a burn most people only recommend Verbatim (data life plus) or Tayio Yuden most others are crap. 16x or 8x media I usually burn at 8x. Other people recommend slower burn speeds.

There are forums here - Blank Media and Burning and on VideoHelp.com that discuss burning and disk quality issues they may be able to offer additional suggestions.

For PIO mode go to control panel / system / device manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers (there may be more that one) / Advanced Settings. I don't remember how you correlate) the drive to the controller. Also ImgBurn has a ResetDMA button.

Mine at 8x take something in the ball park of 14 min to burn and verify data for a full disk.

It's always best to burn with no other programs running. I actually shut down my internet connection and all the virus checkers when I burn a DVD.

Other problems could be bad burner, bad cable connections.

Depending on the type of burner you have there are programs such as:

Nero CD/DVD Speed is a freeware software for benchmarking your CD-R and DVDR drives

The tool above has been superseded by Opti Drive Control which has a 30 day trial period.

that will let you look at the quality of the burn (scan the media after burning plus other things).

I hope this helps.

Let us know how you make out.

rcubed
      Last edited by rcubed; 20 Dec 2010, 08:22 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Juce coco
        • Dec 2010

rcubed[/QUOTE]
        Thanks, but my friend told me that the imgburn only can burn iso file, or data file? what't the iso file?

Comment

• transcribe
          • Dec 2010

Thanks and merry christmas. I am also not very familiar with burning, but I generally do with windows player.

Comment

• rcubed
            • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Juce coco
            rcubed
            Thanks, but my friend told me that the imgburn only can burn iso file, or data file? what't the iso file? [/QUOTE]

Juce coco,
            An iso file is an image of what is needed to burn a DVD. If you have a folder with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files in it ImgBurn can build an iso image from that folder. Most authoring programs will at least put out the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS as output into a folder that can then be converted to an iso image. If you are simply putting the .avi file out to the DVD then it should be able to be burned as a data file. It would be unusual if your stand alone DVD player (one hooked to your TV set) would be able to play an .avi file. For a DVD player (reader or burner) hooked to your computer there are quite a few players that will play .avi files.

rcubed

Comment

• Juce coco
              • Dec 2010

Originally Posted by rcubed
              Thanks, but my friend told me that the imgburn only can burn iso file, or data file? what't the iso file?
              Juce coco,
              An iso file is an image of what is needed to burn a DVD. If you have a folder with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files in it ImgBurn can build an iso image from that folder. Most authoring programs will at least put out the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS as output into a folder that can then be converted to an iso image. If you are simply putting the .avi file out to the DVD then it should be able to be burned as a data file. It would be unusual if your stand alone DVD player (one hooked to your TV set) would be able to play an .avi file. For a DVD player (reader or burner) hooked to your computer there are quite a few players that will play .avi files.

rcubed[/QUOTE]

Thanx very! I get it! My friedns said that's totally right. and I googled a good all-in-one software RZ DVD Creator, it helped me a lots, and it works fine on my computer. But thank your much any way!

Comment

• rcubed
                • Nov 2005

Juce coco,
                Glad you found something that works for you! To a certain degree preference for specific software is in the eye of the beholder. Something that meets their needs is what counts.

rcubed

Comment

Working...