X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Top 10 Pirated Films of 2010 Revealed

TorrentFreak has published the list of the most popular pirated movie downloads of 2010, and it's no surprise that Avatar headed the list.

However, not all of the top 10 lined up with the actual box office top 10. For example, Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland were nowhere to be found in the "torrent" top 10, but were huge at the box office (Toy Story 3 is actually the 5th most popular movie of all time, just above Alice in Wonderland in 6th). And movies such as Green Zone, Kick-Ass did poorly at the box office, but were popular with downloaders.

Here's the complete list, and the estimated number of downloads:
    1. Avatar - 16,580,000
    2. Kick-Ass - 11,400,000
    3. Inception - 9,720,000
    4. Shutter Island - 9,490,000
    5. Iron Man 2 - 8,810,000
    6. Clash of the Titans - 8,040,000
    7. Green Zone - 7,730,000
    8. Sherlock Holmes - 7,160,000
    9. The Hurt Locker - 6,850,000
    10. Salt - 6,700,000

More:

With 2010 nearing its end, we take a look at the most-pirated titles across various categories, starting with movies. Aside from the usual suspects such as Oscar winners Avatar and The Hurt Locker, the list also includes a few surprising entries and some notable absentees.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Avatar made so much money that the fact that it's #1 most pirated almost PROVES that piracy doesn't hurt the film industry.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Yes, was just posting about this in my weekly news roundup (not yet published). Avatar earned nearly three times as much as The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, the third highest earner of all time, back in 2003. Given that online movie piracy has increase ten fold or whatever since 2003 (if you believe the MPAA), then why did Avatar make so much more money than LotR?

Or the fact that out of the top 10 movies, by worldwide box office, 6 were released after 2007, during the same period that online piracy skyrocketed according to the MPAA.

These numbers seems to indicate that piracy is actually helping the movie business.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Daimlerush
        • Dec 2010

i think "The book of eli" is in top 10 also

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Of course piracy is helping the movie business... I know people who pirate movies that are still in theaters, end up liking it, and then buying it on DVD or Blu-Ray. That's one reason I think anti-piracy movements are just stupid...
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡